JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is now offical! He got his Shrimping Boat License.

Good Job Man! I know all those hours of practice must have really paid off!

I think you are JKO's first Shrimp Boat Captain.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Can he get PM's on his boat? That would be awesome! Hope he doesn't mind putting sunscreen on my back, cause I burn like an albino. Why don't you come? I bet he could use someone for his poop deck!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Thanks guys! Now, I need a boat! I was looking at this one. Let me know what you think!?

It's not much but it will get me started.

• Year: 1981
  • Type: Other
  • Manufacturer:
  • Model:
  • Hull type: Steel
  • Length: 68'

I know the pic is old but, the guy claims it's in the same condition with a few more hours. However, the engine was recently rebuilt!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
My shrimping buddy says "that's too much boat! And I should start slow and then build up!"

I guess I kinda agree! I just want to start out fast and retire early!!!

Shrimping is big bucks! :bounce:

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is truely an art! Plus you need a stomach made of steel!

I say the bigger the boat, the easier the drive is. Mid size boats are a pain in the ass to dock. Go big or go home man!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
It is truely an art! Plus you need a stomach made of steel!

I say the bigger the boat, the easier the drive is. Mid size boats are a pain in the ass to dock. Go big or go home man!

Yep! You do have to have a steel stomach! When I first started, my stomach would gargle for days. You just have to get your body and mind used to all the motion.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Funk that! Although I've only got sick twice, both times were all day-ers. Its a feelin you can't escape. I give props to the guys who can drink and fish cause I'll I could do was chum the water.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

I like the bigger boats but, they are a pain in the ass to me. The smaller boats are faster and not such a pain. However, the larger boats carry a bigger load and you can shrimp longer.

Who knows!?! I'll have to keep looking!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I do a lot of deep sea fishing on a 50' Hatteras Sportfish. I say the bigger the better my man. There's nothing like spending your days out on the water.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
congrats mang!!! but i say why start smaller if you know your only gonna go bigger?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I just talked to my shrimping instructor. He said that there might me a problem with shrimping licenses due to the oil spill. The government has always highly regulated shrimping licenses and who they want shrimping. This just gives then another excuse for us not to have fun or make money. Plus, the big shrimpers have spoken for the load for all of this year and most of next. Shrimping is tough!!!

So, we will see. The boat thing might have to wait. :shaking:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts