JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a new 2011 Wrangler 2Dr with the towing package. I confused on whether it has a separate AT cooler. I can see the lines going into the bottom of the radiator, but have not been able to discern a cooler. I did notice in the Mopar parts catalog an auxiliary cooler and lines for a whopping $382. Is this a replacement for something already on the vehicle or is it a separate cooler? Price is outrageous, but at least it will keep the warranty intact.

The other option is to go full-bore - a HD cooler, thermostatic fan, metal fasteners to the radiator, and braided cooler lines. What would this do to the warranty? I live in a very hot climate (extreme South Texas) so a good auxiliary cooler is a must.

Thanks.

Gene

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hi,

I have a new 2011 Wrangler 2Dr with the towing package. I confused on whether it has a separate AT cooler. I can see the lines going into the bottom of the radiator, but have not been able to discern a cooler. I did notice in the Mopar parts catalog an auxiliary cooler and lines for a whopping $382. Is this a replacement for something already on the vehicle or is it a separate cooler? Price is outrageous, but at least it will keep the warranty intact.

The other option is to go full-bore - a HD cooler, thermostatic fan, metal fasteners to the radiator, and braided cooler lines. What would this do to the warranty? I live in a very hot climate (extreme South Texas) so a good auxiliary cooler is a must.

Thanks.

Gene
um. ya, jeeps come with a stock cooler but people and myself are still running after market aux coolers on top of that. b&m makes a popular one for about 65 bones.

throw on a b&m cooler and call it a day. it should drop temps around 20-30F

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just saw an article in JP magazine that showed a really inexpensive ($50) way to approach this problem. They put a Flex-A-Lite cooling unit behind the grill right in front of the radiator with hoses going to and from the AT. It looked really easy to install too.
I have had my AT overheat once and I am most likely going to install one of these units.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I just put one on my Jeep... didn't need it yet... wanted to make sure and wanted to get it on before the family and I drove to Florida next month.

Only took about and hour to complete... very easy. Go to the write section... lots of info there.

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
The stock cooler is inside the a/c condenser. A properly installed auxiliary cooler should not avoid your warranty and is even encouraged.

Here are a few transmission cooler write-ups along with some gauge options as well:
Cooling - Radiator/Fan/Tranny:

Tranny Cooler Install KerryP
Transmission Cooler PhilD
Transmission Cooler Installgold knight
Transmission Power Steering Cooler bodyguy

Dash - Switches/Winch controls/Gauges/Dash Mods:
Aeroforce Interceptor gaugeDr. Dirty
Another Gauge Podjct
JK Guage Pod (mounted on Daystar panel) rutdigger
Moved my gaugesJohn L
Oil Pressure and Trans Temp GaugesPhilD
Transmission Temp GaugePhilD

·
Registered
6,287 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I got an auxiliary cooler installed by the dealer under the TSB dealing with overseas shipped Wranglers after my tranny blew up.
Jeep has been fitting their OEM aux. cooler on select warranty transmission replacements in the USA, but they have only authorized fitment on overseas vehicles per the TSB. They have a huge liability on this, they know there's a design flaw and they're just trying to avoid the inevitable recall or other Fed action. Whatever, don't wait, install an auxiliary cooler ASAP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The reason JKs have this problem is the exhaust crossover pipe being less than an inch from the tranny pan. An aux cooler is a must for long tranny life in ANY situation. I deliver mail and have the B&M 70266.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts