JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so hubbo bought me a laptop....we took the first one back as it was too big...now I have one ( a Gateway) that I think I like....but...I cannot get it to connect with the internet....yesterday I couldn't get it on line so I just used our old computer...well hubbo came home and had to re set some things so it would connect- which it did last night and this morning and now today i cannot get online???? I tried to get online at our rec center that has wi-fi....but couldn't figured I was doing something wrong then I went home and still cannot get connected?? But I was able to get online this morning??? Help!!! I am thinking I need to go to Panera Bread and try there.....or at least get a cup of coffee... : ) Any suggestions???

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Are you connecting to your wireless router at home or are you using the eithernet port.

You can right click your wireless connection in the bottom right and select "view available wireless networks". Do you see your network when you do this?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I really hate to be the one to bring this up (since I just did this myself) but.........buy a Mac. Holy crap! Plug it in and it works. Attach new peripherals and they just work. Add new software and it just works. No cryptic error messages, no blue-screen-of-death, no drama. After years with PCs this is a refreshing change. Bill Gates must be the world's greatest marketeer since he has managed to convince most of the world that Windows is a good idea. Sorry...........end of rant. Good luck with the hookup problems. Hope to see you back on soon. :)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I really hate to be the one to bring this up (since I just did this myself) but.........buy a Mac. Holy crap! Plug it in and it works. Attach new peripherals and they just work. Add new software and it just works. No cryptic error messages, no blue-screen-of-death, no drama. After years with PCs this is a refreshing change. Bill Gates must be the world's greatest marketeer since he has managed to convince most of the world that Windows is a good idea. Sorry...........end of rant. Good luck with the hookup problems. Hope to see you back on soon. :)

So far every item ive plugged in or downloaded on my DELL has worked flawless without any "cryptic" error messages

·
Registered
900 Posts
So far every item ive plugged in or downloaded on my DELL has worked flawless without any "cryptic" error messages
I was a PC guy for years. Just got my Mac recently (my brother gave me a two year old machine cuz he had to have the latest and greatest with the Leopard OS). I am now a convert. I've yet to try anything that isn't easier with the Mac. When I plugged in my ancient printer, guess what? It worked and all without even having to load any drivers (true plug and play). Same thing applies with all our old software (mp3 stuff, kodak easyshare, etc.). Data transfer was also astonishingly simple.

I'm not knocking anyone else's machine. If what you've got works for you, great. But when you look to upgrade, don't automatically discount Mac (like I used to). You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK I want a Mac...*sigh* I am going to tell hubbo when he gets home tonight. :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
OK I want a Mac...*sigh* I am going to tell hubbo when he gets home tonight. :)
As far as I can tell with you guys, that usually works. :D Wheels, tires, other stuff, etc., "honey, I need a (fill in the blank) for the Jeep" "OK dear, I'll order it tomorrow." :shaking: I wish I could get my significant other to cooperate like that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Did you get the problem resolved? If not try this. Click on the Start menu and click on Run and type cmd and press enter. A black box with writing will come up. Type ipconfig /release then press enter. Then type ipconfig /renew and then close the black box and see if you can access the Internet now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was a PC guy for years. Just got my Mac recently (my brother gave me a two year old machine cuz he had to have the latest and greatest with the Leopard OS). I am now a convert. I've yet to try anything that isn't easier with the Mac. When I plugged in my ancient printer, guess what? It worked and all without even having to load any drivers (true plug and play). Same thing applies with all our old software (mp3 stuff, kodak easyshare, etc.). Data transfer was also astonishingly simple.

I'm not knocking anyone else's machine. If what you've got works for you, great. But when you look to upgrade, don't automatically discount Mac (like I used to). You might be pleasantly surprised. :)

I'm like skibum. Once you go Mac, you won't go back! :D I've been a Mac user since 1992 and it's totally painless to use (no viruses)! I have to use a PC at work so I am reminded 5 days a week of why I love Macs.

·
Registered
900 Posts
JKGirl has obviously gotten her 'puter back up and running so maybe we should drop the whole Mac vs. PC thing. It's like discussing religion or politics......it can only end badly. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well...actually....it only works sometimes...yep- sometimes. And I called the support yesterday--AND do you know what they told me???? Based on the number off the bottom of the dang thing they said this computer was not a laptop and was manufactured in Jan 98!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I told them no I just bought it at COSTCO a few day ago - and it is a lap top and they basically told me they couldn't help me!!?? I have 90 days with Costcos awesome return policy-- and am really considering taking this back and getting a Mac... I know my Ipod is a dream to use.....I can only imagine how easy the laptop would be... Hubbo said he is tired of returning computers for me :)and if I wanted to I could return it and get a Mac.... He thinks we should get a HP....we will see..... but I am all for the Mac:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've been in the IT field for about 10 years now and I'll admit...Macs are impressive. I do have some advice for you before you drop $2K+ on a Macbook...go to your nearest Apple store and try it out before you buy...the interface is totally different and takes some getting used to. Generally speaking, Macs are more reliable than PCs...they also cost a whole lot more than most laptops. Personally, I prefer PCs...except for Vista, of course...

·
Registered
60 Posts
JerzeyJeeper's advice is excellent. I to have over 10yrs in (educational) technology. I hadn't used macs for a long time and then all the sudden I had two mac labs and a few various other users to support. I procured a macbook pro (intel system) and once I got over the change, I really enjoyed the computer and the OS itself. I had gotten to the point where I rarely needed to use BootCamp and used parallels to run a virtual windows machine for occasional troubleshooting or functions. The cost is definitely an issue, I could see myself using a mac for home purposes...but I don't ever see myself dropping that much money on one when I can build my own PC.

I think a new buyer no matter what direction they go simply needs to know what they want to be able to do with the system. Don't jump on the cheap deals some big box stores may offer until you have thought it through. I have seen so many people who "just want to do email, word processing and internet" be disappointed in a low grade system once they learn about other things they can do with a computer.

As for Vista...well people are still warming up to it, we went through the same thing with XP. We are no where near ready to roll out Vista to our schools but I have been using a 64bit version of vista at home for several months without issue. The problem lies in knowing how to use and configure a new OS, as well as understand the hardware requirements.

OK that's enough nerdism for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts