JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at installing a Puma air compressor in the cargo area of my Jeep. The compressor draws 30 amps and is 100% duty cycle. I don't know the first thing about wiring, but I do know I dont want my Jeep to become a rolling bonfire :D ! What I need help with is putting together the neccessary components for a safe install. I want to be able to switch the thing on and off manually when I need it vs. it just running when the tank is low (it has a pressure switch). I think in order to do this safely, I will need some kind of relay, but I dont know which one, or even how to wire the relay. A little guidance would be greatly appreciated :beer:

·
Registered
781 Posts
I'm looking at installing a Puma air compressor in the cargo area of my Jeep. The compressor draws 30 amps and is 100% duty cycle. I don't know the first thing about wiring, but I do know I dont want my Jeep to become a rolling bonfire :D ! What I need help with is putting together the neccessary components for a safe install. I want to be able to switch the thing on and off manually when I need it vs. it just running when the tank is low (it has a pressure switch). I think in order to do this safely, I will need some kind of relay, but I dont know which one, or even how to wire the relay. A little guidance would be greatly appreciated :beer:
WTF brand is PUMA??? Last I heard thier shoes were retro!

Anywho, check out Viair's website for some info on what they recommend since they manufacture one of the most common brand of compressors used in Jeeps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WTF brand is PUMA??? Last I heard thier shoes were retro!

Anywho, check out Viair's website for some info on what they recommend since they manufacture one of the most common brand of compressors used in Jeeps.
I never thought of looking at Viair's site......... the Puma compressor pumps are the same as the Viairs from what I have read :homersimpson:. The only place I know of where to get the 12v is on egay. A lot of people say they have had good luck with them, and they are only like $230 shipped.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
If they are the same as VIAR you may be able to get a bracket to mount it in the engine bay. If you do that, you could invest in an sPOD and make the install a cakewalk and clean too.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Air Compressor Location Option

Also, consider locating your compressor here... behind the right rear tail-light area like I did.
Keeps it away from the heat and doesn't take any valuable space... just an option.:beer:

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
jsr i was just wondering how you managed to get a drill back behind the light to drill those holes. makes a great mounting place. did you have a small right angle drill or something?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Also, consider locating your compressor here... behind the right rear tail-light area like I did.
Keeps it away from the heat and doesn't take any valuable space... just an option.:beer:

Looks good, I put my Viair in the same place.

jsr i was just wondering how you managed to get a drill back behind the light to drill those holes. makes a great mounting place. did you have a small right angle drill or something?
Yes a right angle really helps. It is a pain to do but worth it, especially if you have a 2dr.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yep and a short drill bit.
I've had it installed just about a year now and haven't had any problems.
I am a slow installer and it took me around 3 hours.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yep and a short drill bit.
I've had it installed just about a year now and haven't had any problems.
I am a slow installer and it took me around 3 hours.
Do you, or anyone else, have a write-up on installing a compressor in this location. I have one sitting in my garage with all the extra tubing and fittings just waiting as I hadn't decided where to put it, now I have! :beer:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Do you, or anyone else, have a write-up on installing a compressor in this location. I have one sitting in my garage with all the extra tubing and fittings just waiting as I hadn't decided where to put it, now I have! :beer:
X2. I like that location.:beer:

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Thats cool! Do you have an air tank too? I invested $100 in one of those under hood mounts... it broke, and I purchased another:pissed: I wish I had seen this thread first.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I looked at that under hood mount and thought it might be susceptible to breaking as the cantilever length compared to the thickness of plate / support looked a little iffy. Good to know I didn't go that way.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had intentions on doing a write-up... however that was about as far as I got.
Here are some notes that I am remembering to assist...

1. Make a cardboard template of the mounting points of the compressor.
2. I removed the small brackets from the air compress in order to get the compressor in the cavity, then reinstalled the brackets.
3. Take your time.

If I think of any others I'll post up.
Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have the extremeduty kit, I have the hood compressor installed, but will be working on this one on the weekend. I'll post my install with picts as soon as it's completed. Been looking at it for a few weeks and finally gonna pull the trigger for the spod with the tank guage.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have the extremeduty kit, I have the hood compressor installed, but will be working on this one on the weekend. I'll post my install with picts as soon as it's completed. Been looking at it for a few weeks and finally gonna pull the trigger for the spod with the tank guage.
Did you ever get it installed? Pics?
Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts