JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone that has seen both compare and contrast the polyperformance and the teraflex rocker guards, please?

what makes one different or better than the other. i know a few on here have the PP ones, but does anyone have any experience with the teraflex ones, or is there anyone that has seen both?

thanks ahead of time for any help. i've just been tossing around the idea of getting rid of my shrockworks rock rails for something like the ones listed above to gain a little more clearance and have the boatside protection as well.

thanks!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did a review of this on another forum. Thought you might be interested. ----

Here is a quick review of my TeraFlex Aluminum Rocker Guards that I installed a while back. To date this is the only product that I have actually lost weight when installing an aftermarket product.

Assorted hardware and the one page instructions.

Using my seat as a jack I test fit and mark the holes to be drilled.

A quick mark with the pen and a punch and I am ready to drill.

A quick reminder before drilling, locate the wire bundle on the inside of the Jeep. This is from the passenger side. I just slide a screw driver under the bundle to lift it up and out of harms way. I was installing the 3 large bolts that come up from the bottom of the rocker panel.

Nutserts installed. Nothing like drilling 7 holes into the side of your brand new Jeep.

TeraFlex supplies a rubber gasket so I installed it with the bolts to hold it in place.

Used the seat as a jack again for the final install.

Completed. The TeraFlex Aluminum Rocker Guards make for a great step. This will be a great asset when placing things on the roof rack.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Now for my review of the Rocker Guards. They have been fantastic for there intended purpose. My two boys can easily get in and out of the lifted Jeep. I have used them as steps for loading the roof rack. They have also kept my doors clean of dents while in shopping.

Now for the problems. On the first test drive with the rocker panels installed I noticed a very loud creaking sound. On further inspection I noticed that TeraFlex forgot to make cut outs for the body mounts. I was forced to remove the rocker panels and do some modifications. A little time consuming but noting I could not handle. Then the next problem creaped up. Several nutserts began to spin on me as I was removing the rocker panels. Needless to say I am a little upset about Teraflex not doing there homework on this product. I had them installed and they were perfect then when I removed them the problems started.

Rocker panel hitting the body mount.

The white dot is where it was rubbing.

My solution.

Oh and my last complaint. The powder coat is coming off all over the place.

And on last thought. If you run into problems with a spinning nutsert try tighting it with light use of an impact gun. I have not attempted this but I wish I had known about this technique during my problems. At this point I am not sure if I want to remove them again to fix the problem nutserts.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Not rocker guard related, but I bought a set of steps for my truck a few years ago...powder coated aluminum. The same happened with them. The powder coating started flaking off in chunks and the aluminum quickly oxidized. I took them off and they're probably sitting in a landfill as we speak. The aluminum is nice because it's light, but I would stick with powder coated or painted steel. My $.02.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't know anything about the powder coating process. is it a problem with aluminum, in particular, or is it more likely that they were prepped inadequately?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'm not up on powdercoating 101 either, but I've seen several cases where this happened. The same thing happened on my TJ's mirror brackets. They're made of cast aluminum. The coating on them flaked off and the surface of the aluminum started turning to white powder. I ended up going over it with some of that POR paint to keep them from deteriorating further. I haven't had problems like that with steel bumpers, rock rails, etc. Usually you just get chipped or scratched paint which is easily fixed.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm not up on powdercoating 101 either, but I've seen several cases where this happened. The same thing happened on my TJ's mirror brackets. They're made of cast aluminum. The coating on them flaked off and the surface of the aluminum started turning to white powder. I ended up going over it with some of that POR paint to keep them from deteriorating further. I haven't had problems like that with steel bumpers, rock rails, etc. Usually you just get chipped or scratched paint which is easily fixed.
It's the prep process. I work in aviation and aluminum coatings are second nature around here. Nothing will stick to aluminum without 1 of these 3 process (there may be more than these, this is all we do here):

PAA (Phosphoric Acid Anodize)
Alodining
Anodizing

To further the difficulty of this, the aluminum MUST have a water break free surface before doing any of the above. This means when you spray water on it there will be no breaks in the surface. This is usually accomplished by using a scotchbrite pad with water and lots of elbow grease. After that, the aluminum MUST be kept wet until you process it with one of the above methods. Oxidization occurs the millisecond the surface has air exposure.
Then there's galvanic corrosion, which takes place when you have disimilar metals in contact with each other, such as drilling a hole and using a fastener. Then you have to do what is called a "wet install", usually done with a special type of chromate primer.

My guess is that they sandblasted the part then powder coated it, without proper surface prep in between. All that air exposure let the surface oxodize quickly, and therefore no sticky sticky for the powdercoating.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I love the Poly Performance rails, they are very high clearance. Ive had to really try and hit them on things intentionally to test them out. Ive only hit them twice so far, but both times they just laughed at the challenge, with a slight scuff mark :)

Here are some pics for the heck of it....

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Wow, it's more complicated than I would have guessed. Thanks for the 101. :smokin:

It's the prep process. I work in aviation and aluminum coatings are second nature around here. Nothing will stick to aluminum without 1 of these 3 process (there may be more than these, this is all we do here):

PAA (Phosphoric Acid Anodize)
Alodining
Anodizing

To further the difficulty of this, the aluminum MUST have a water break free surface before doing any of the above. This means when you spray water on it there will be no breaks in the surface. This is usually accomplished by using a scotchbrite pad with water and lots of elbow grease. After that, the aluminum MUST be kept wet until you process it with one of the above methods. Oxidization occurs the millisecond the surface has air exposure.
Then there's galvanic corrosion, which takes place when you have disimilar metals in contact with each other, such as drilling a hole and using a fastener. Then you have to do what is called a "wet install", usually done with a special type of chromate primer.

My guess is that they sandblasted the part then powder coated it, without proper surface prep in between. All that air exposure let the surface oxodize quickly, and therefore no sticky sticky for the powdercoating.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So..., what you're telling me is that I couldn't buy these, strip them of the powder coating and paint them with something like duplicolor bedliner?
I like the TFs for their light weight, and built-in step (wife-required). The Poly's don't have the step and the Rockhards are waaaay over priced and use out-of-style diamond plate.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would like to Thank Eracer76. He posted up some pictures of my Teraflex Rocker panel install on the other forum. Turns out TeraFlex saw the problem with the powder coat and is sending me a new set of rocker panels. It was also pointed out that I have one of the original sets and that the new ones have a textured finish. I will relay my findings as soon as the new ones arrive.

Thanks again Eracer76.

·
Registered
145 Posts
mizedog So..., what you're telling me is that I couldn't buy these, strip them of the powder coating and paint them with something like duplicolor bedliner?
To be honest it is just powder coat. I would buy what you like and just touch it up with spray paint. I was just about to spray mine with Duplicolor before I found out about the new ones coming.

By the way the step is worth it with the TeraFlex. My kids use it daily and those people that like to open there door into your vehicle are kept at bay. Go ahead hit it all day long. That alone is worth the price of admission for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would like to Thank Eracer76. He posted up some pictures of my Teraflex Rocker panel install on the other forum. Turns out TeraFlex saw the problem with the powder coat and is sending me a new set of rocker panels. It was also pointed out that I have one of the original sets and that the new ones have a textured finish. I will relay my findings as soon as the new ones arrive.

Thanks again Eracer76.
Thats good to hear, glad I helped :D

Its nice to know they are taking care of their customers like that, but Im sure posting pics all over the forums had something to with it LOL

·
Registered
314 Posts
Will any of these work with the xenon flares. Also I smashed both sides in already and am going to use rockers to cover it up. Is it going to be a problem mounting these on a surface that is not flush. I figured I would have to do some banging. I was thinking about desidning a set myself. Time will tell.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've got thee Tera Rockers, probably one of the first sets ever made. I've had no problems at all. They've had a few hits, but not many. I stand on them all the time to open the soft top (which is a lot of weight), and they are still solid.

I didn't have the powder coat problems or the body mount problem, but mine were a prototype set.

They work great as a step, and seem to be able to take a hit. You can't really go wrong with the PP ones either. I haven't seen their rockers, but I have some of their other stuff on my LJ, and its rock solid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts