JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking my first trip in the jeep and going to Colorado Springs the first week in august. I was hoping you guys could suggest some mild trails and other things to do and see. oh and I cant stand heights. it should be interesting..

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Traildamage.com

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Not so much a Jeep or an off road excursion, BUT I would definitely recommend taking some time out to see Garden of the Gods. It's a park in Colorardo Springs that has some nice scenery. The wife and I got married there coming up two years ago.

Other than that, if you have not checked it out, be sure to check out the Colorado Springs Tourism Site for other things to see and do.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
You hate heights and wnat to wheel in CO? :laughing:

Some easy trails down that way: Mt Baldy is a very easy trail that will get you back up on some dirt roads into the mountains.

If you wnat some people to take you out to do some wheeling, post up in the CO section. There are a few guys down that way, and some of us up in Denver area that get out.

Alos, log onto Funtreks and buy the Charles Wells Book for CO Backroads and Trails book. That will keep you busy and has many trails setup by difficulty and area.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
You hate heights and wnat to wheel in CO? :laughing:

Some easy trails down that way: Mt Baldy is a very easy trail that will get you back up on some dirt roads into the mountains.

If you wnat some people to take you out to do some wheeling, post up in the CO section. There are a few guys down that way, and some of us up in Denver area that get out.

Alos, log onto Funtreks and buy the Charles Wells Book for CO Backroads and Trails book. That will keep you busy and has many trails setup by difficulty and area.
If you buy the book spend the extra $ for the wire bound version. It's great that it will lay flat!

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
If you buy the book spend the extra $ for the wire bound version. It's great that it will lay flat!

I did the same thing after going through two of the ragualr bound books for Moab and CO. Than I replaced with the spiral bound and they are great. No more pages falling out.

Now, the new one has the cover bound with spine. So you can;t fold it all the way over anymore. Bummer. So you just cut the cover I guess and that will work.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Go to the Great Sand Dunes NP. It is a very cool area (though will be hot in August), and Medano Pass is a nice trail to test your JK out on. The only caveat to Medano Pass is if there has been heavy rain, the numerous water crossings will be a bit more challenging. Typically in late summer they will be no higher than 12"-18". I did it in my stock JK, still with the POS Goodyear SR-As on it. Probably stating the obvious, but airing down is a must for the deep sand sections (and also for the rocky trail over the pass).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Sand_Dunes_National_Park_and_Preserve

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.aspx?trailid=BGR047-045

1 - 7 of 7 Posts