JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just went with the K&N drop in filter with the water in mind... Its hard to notice a difference really, but i like to think i hear the motor growlin a little more:) i had a lot of fun in that flood last December, pullin everyone out and hittin kaena, i wouldnt wanna miss out on that again. That and hydrolock is no joke.

Also had a guy tell me with the drop in i could just drill holes in the air box to allow for more airflow:shaking:

·
Registered
884 Posts
If you get one make sure you consider getting an exhaust also....it would be better if you are able to blow out more air when you are sucking in more;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
very true Rich thats a good catch on this subject. if you really wanted to get some performance out of the motor free flow intake with headers and performance cats and muffler mandrell exhaust, now I'm not into all that because big $$$$ that could go to other things that could better the offroad abbilty of the jeep and most of that stuff come into play at higher RPM's (4k+) when the motor needs to breath inn and exhale better. .02 more :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
there are mixed reveiws on this subject i have spent alot of time around high performance cars and every vehicle i have owned has had an intake. The low down is basically what everyones saying only helps for higher rpm ranges but the performance filters have bigger holes then stock allow more fine dust particals through with the extra air there is a reason the stock filter on a jeep is two ply beleive me when you get into dust areas it will enhance the longivity of your motor using a stock filter. that being said if your looking for better gas milage and a bit more HP and torque then sure go for it but off road use in dusty conditions will not filter out the fine particals allowing it into your engine.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
there are mixed reveiws on this subject i have spent alot of time around high performance cars and every vehicle i have owned has had an intake. The low down is basically what everyones saying only helps for higher rpm ranges but the performance filters have bigger holes then stock allow more fine dust particals through with the extra air there is a reason the stock filter on a jeep is two ply beleive me when you get into dust areas it will enhance the longivity of your motor using a stock filter. that being said if your looking for better gas milage and a bit more HP and torque then sure go for it but off road use in dusty conditions will not filter out the fine particals allowing it into your engine.
What about the oiled drop in filters don't they collect just as much dirt as the original? I know we're probably getting into microns now...( Sorry not trying to hi-jack)

·
Registered
156 Posts
:jeep2:by all means everyones input is welcome ya the oiled drop in filters do a great job but they clog alot faster just means cleaning and re-oiling nothing major.. your right that is getting into microns and parts per million and all that jaz. My opinion on the matter again only opinion please by all means make your own decision but its more cost effective to buy a drop in oiled filter use it for street/light trail to get the gas milage possibly 1-3 extra per gallon and possibly a 5-8 HP increase and maybe 10 ft lbs of tourqe. and switch in the stock one if your going into a major dust run like pea**** flats can be when your 2-3 jeeps deep nothing but powder over there

·
Registered
14 Posts
I like this!!! lots of good opinions on this.
if i was driving cross country i would go with a good high flow filter, but for here, no way, drive in traffic at 45mph if im lucky.lol. yeah, Rich I know lucky if can go 45 anyway:shaking:

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
:jeep2:by all means everyones input is welcome ya the oiled drop in filters do a great job but they clog alot faster just means cleaning and re-oiling nothing major.. your right that is getting into microns and parts per million and all that jaz. My opinion on the matter again only opinion please by all means make your own decision but its more cost effective to buy a drop in oiled filter use it for street/light trail to get the gas milage possibly 1-3 extra per gallon and possibly a 5-8 HP increase and maybe 10 ft lbs of tourqe. and switch in the stock one if your going into a major dust run like pea**** flats can be when your 2-3 jeeps deep nothing but powder over there
Couldn't have said it any better. If you tend to wheel in dusty conditions and/or like to splash through water, keep your stock configuration.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally, I think anytime you can allow more air into the motor, the better.
For the type of wheeling that I do, I run an enclosed intake system with a cone filter that draws air in from outside the engine bay. I also run a K&N "pre-filter" sock over the cone filter to maximize efficiency. Seems to work pretty well in the dust at the Flats. As an added bonus, most intakes come with a washable, re-usable filter.
If it were my truck, I'd look for something sealed or semi-sealed that wouldn't draw in hot engine bay air. Like others have said, water getting on/in the filter should be a consideration as well. Just my 2 pesos.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I don't have anything to add about CAI on the JKs, but something that hasn't been brought up about the stock filter is price.

A stock replacement filter from Autozone cost me $23 bucks. A damn K&N that is washable costs around $55. Perfomance be damned, but after two cleanings, the K&N has paid for itself.

·
Registered
884 Posts
OK...I'd like to add my 1 cent (cuz that's all I can afford:thefinger: ) This feedback is based on my experience and personal opinion....and you know what they say about opinions...."opinions are azzholes, everyones got one and they all stink except for yours":thefinger:

1. Adding an aftermarket intake kit that allows more air to go into the engine is a plus....as I stated in an earlier post if you get an intake run it with an aftermarket exhaust that doesn't restrict the "exhaust" end

2. As much as we would all like to claim that our Jeep spends a lot of time off road....reality is that a majority of us use our JK as a daily driver. With that said we are always looking for ways to improve our gas mileage and power. Lets face it these minivan engines need all the help they can get. Unfortunately we don't all have the ability to swap a HEMI in to our JK (yet ;) ) This becomes a personal choice in our quest to add what we all personally think will help our cause in building our personal Jeeps. Some may say that it is a waste of money however, it is ultimately the money I earned and if it makes me feel good with my purchase then so be it.....

3. Now that the disclaimers has been taken cared off.....I have used many different intake configurations on my vehicles. I was very pleased with K&N in the beginning however since the inception of the "dry" filter I have since switch. Although K&N have claimed that their filter is better when it's dirtly I just don't like the fact that it has oil in the filter....oil and dirt don't mix very well....

4. I regards to the condition that we face in regards to dust and dirt I definitely agree that an oil based filter would not be the best. Bottom line is that whether or not you have an enclosed system, open air intake, or stock intake the condition that you face will not change. What I am trying to say is that regardless what system you are running you are still gonna be sucking in the same air in the same evironment. Many of the aftermaket companies has put a lot of time and money on R&D for their air filter in the worst possible conditions. I think there's a reason why all the on road and off road racing vehicle all use aftermarket filters.

5. Now if I had it my way.....I would run a semi enclosed kit with a dry filter kit. FYI....I am currently using the AEM intake with MBRP exhaust. I am looking to change over to the Banks intake kit and running a dry filter (like the AEM filter);)

·
Registered
205 Posts
That's interesting that we would be discussing "oil based filters" in the year 2009. Well, I can't remember exactly when or what year it was, but I do remember when most vehicles used some form of an oil based filter in that the filter sat in a pool of oil supposedly to absord dirt before it had the chance to get impregnated into the filter or through the filter and into the engine. There are still vacuum cleaners (Rainbow Brand) that uses water in very much the same way in leu of a paper filter and this application works excellently. However, and I'm no expert, they quit using the oil based filter system for one reason or the other. Bad idea maybe? I can't say. I can say I haven't seen this in use for a long long long time. (each long = 1 decade)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just bought me one them AFE cool air intakes Absolutly love the sound and low end performance one acceleration but i am most deff going to get a prefilter for it for dust runs

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you have a snorkel you wont follow me!...... Well the snorkel won't! for long. ; ) Oil and labor to maintain a filter is cheap!!! Engines aren't! just something to think about. I like filters so much, I got one for myself! : )

·
Registered
156 Posts
OK here goes another .02 on the AFE dry intake system i just purchased after a **** run being behind 3 jeeps was brutal dust and the flter performed just as i thought it would its sucked in every bit of dust. I got home took the system apart to clean the filter and inside the intake tube and throttle body was just as brown as the outside of my jeep sooooooooo anyone running one of these i would reccomend a prefilter wich i myself tried to find before this run but no one carries the damn things!!!!! That was just after one run with after market intake. That made me curious i went back and checked the intake tube on my stock system and i have been through 3 runs with it and it was needless to say very clean compared to after market.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ok...confused here. From what I remember, the Jeep we bought has an Airraid intake that uses the oiled filter with a lifetime guarantee. Am I good or will I be sucking dirt?
Only way to know for sure is to try it but my guess on this would be yes, no where near as bad as mine. also oiled filters are a bit more trouble some to clean having to use soap like dish soap to degrease them then re-oil it. I'm sure someone on the trail has an oiled filter ask around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts