JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a fairly loud squeek the other day coming from my Jeep. I checked out some obvious stuff for tightness. But, today I found the culprit. The rear driver's side coil creaks when I climb under the Jeep and pull down on it. I didn't see any obvious difference between the driver's and passenger's coils. What would cause this?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I noticed a fairly loud squeek the other day coming from my Jeep. I checked out some obvious stuff for tightness. But, today I found the culprit. The rear driver's side coil creaks when I climb under the Jeep and pull down on it. I didn't see any obvious difference between the driver's and passenger's coils. What would cause this?
When I want to get rid of squeeks, I get under the Jeep with a can of WD40(with the spray straw). Have some one push the Jeep up and down and spray a little of the lube in the areas that are squeeking. This will pinpoint the area once it stop squeeking. You should be able to figure out why it was making noise at that point as well.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
just dont count on that WD-40 working for long since it isnt a lube. BUT it is a good way to find the source of the squeak.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I have the same problem when my rear pass-side coil dries out. Seems to be the only coil that dries out and squeaks, but hey....4 Wheel Parts said they'll relube it whenever it happens, so it's cool.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I got it on the first try. I pulled down on the frame repeatedly and tried to pinpoint the sound. It was coming from the base of the coil from the front. A quick spray of WD-40 and there was no squeek at least in casual driving -- didn't have a chance to take it anywhere to really work it.

Now the question is what to do with my new found knowledge. Just keep spraying it?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Turn the radio up...It WILL return. Ive never had a TJ or any other coil spring susp. vehicle that didnt develop a squeaky spring or cont arm bushing, etc...Next time ya wash it...spray it hard between the spring and the perch/ mount. When it dries...use another good shot of WD40. You will eventually get used to the squeaks that yer jeep makes OR find another squeak (of greater concern) elsewhere...OR go crazy from all the little noises that an off road suspension usually makes.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is this wash thing you speak of?

My TJ had a Rubicon Express kit that never made a peep, so I guess you've had bad luck.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
It aint a matter of bad luck (compared to the TJ and JK horror stories that Ive seen and heard). When you actually take your rig off road and thru mud, etc...it will develop squeaks, also if the bushings dry out. Sh*t...I'm on my 4th jeep and 3rd Rubicon Express lift so I have to say- if you never develop a squeak then you are in a class of very fortunate and very FEW people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts