JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
[my opinion]People buy them and claim gains. My personal opinion is it's hog wash. Today's factory ignition systems are very stout. It is not the day of points or cheap factory ignition boxes anymore. I installed an MSD 6a box on my 1972 Plymouth 'Cuda (factory ignition) and hardly noticed a difference. Therefore I have no hope for upgrading the factory JK stuff. If I had a problem with the wires or coil, I'd consider it. But I wouldn't replace a functioning ignition with it. MAYBE if I had a supercharger to help the spark out with the added turbulence and fuel in the cylinder...thats about it..[/my opinion]

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I got some bad plugs, was actually looking @ the wires as a replacement while fixing bad plugs and was thinking added heat protection because of Texas heat.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[my opinion]People buy them and claim gains. My personal opinion is it's hog wash. Today's factory ignition systems are very stout. It is not the day of points or cheap factory ignition boxes anymore. I installed an MSD 6a box on my 1972 Plymouth 'Cuda (factory ignition) and hardly noticed a difference. Therefore I have no hope for upgrading the factory JK stuff. If I had a problem with the wires or coil, I'd consider it. But I wouldn't replace a functioning ignition with it. MAYBE if I had a supercharger to help the spark out with the added turbulence and fuel in the cylinder...thats about it..[/my opinion]
Thanks for the response...

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Well I got some bad plugs, was actually looking @ the wires as a replacement while fixing bad plugs and was thinking added heat protection because of Texas heat.
Again, it's certainly up to you. Whatever you do, do-not buy E3 spark plugs. My preference is NGKs, never let me down (like the E3's did 300 miles from home)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any difference in their series, or which are better?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
The different metals, my understanding, is they operate better at different cylinder temperatures (no boost or nitrous for platinums due to blowout because of the small electrode). Since the JK is not quite the BMW, I personally would go Iridium #2314 it looks like.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Iridiums are cheaper than the laser platinum
Yessir, Plats are generally a super long lasting plug. (100,000+), which I think is the factory plug in the JK. I prefer to run the cheaper (but still really good) Iridium plug, but change them more often.

I'm a little quirky on my maintenance. I don't mind tearing into things to over maintain it.

I'm no spark plug expert however. :beer:

·
Registered
11,064 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,068 Posts
What happened with the E3s?
Never had the E3's in the Jeep, but have heard only negative about them. I did put E3's in my daily driver ('05 Kia Spectra) and will be removing them this coming weekend. I have given them a full 15k miles and they SUCK. Hard starts, idle stumbling, accelleration stumbling, reduced fuel milage, you name it.

Because I put so many miles on my car I maintain it religiously. I can tell you for a fact all the problems mentioned above feed back to the plugs. I will be returning to the original NGK Iridiums!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I am the most anti gimmick person on the planet, but based on the examples and studies I saw I felt like the deserved a try. He firs vehicle I pu them in was my 09 Polaris RZR. From day 1 my RZR had a rough idle and was a tad slow to start. I tried a new set of stock plugs, and had no better luck. With about 14hrs on the clock, I installed a set of E3s. No more hard start, no more rough idle, and the throttle response felt crisper too. As far as mileage or power, there is no real way of knowing what good if any they did. Since then I put them in my 05 TJ and a buddies 91 XJ, both with positive results asmfar as performance goes. Cured a hard start in my tj and a rough idle n the xj. Would a different new plug have done the same? Maybe. The RZR to me was the truest test I have done so far. For a non boosted or non nitrous engine, I would use them again. In fact pretty soon I'm going to put a set in my JK.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had the E3's, they were great....HOWEVER... didn't last, mis fire codes and the rest people have heard. Changed them out after 15-20K.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I had the E3's... 2 miss fired after 200 kms of driving... long drive home that night. I returned them to the company I got them picked up some stock ones. E3 found out and sent me a new set. Anyone one want them just pay the shipping.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I would use them again. In fact pretty soon I'm going to put a set in my JK.
good luck with them, I personally know 3 people including myself that had misfires with them in their jk's besides all the people I've seen online here post same problem

I had the E3's, they were great....HOWEVER... didn't last, mis fire codes and the rest people have heard. Changed them out after 15-20K.
I had the E3's... 2 miss fired after 200 kms of driving... long drive home that night. I returned them to the company I got them picked up some stock ones. E3 found out and sent me a new set. Anyone one want them just pay the shipping.
Misfires are the big problem in the jk with E3's :shaking:. Maybe it's just something about the jk not liking them. I have yet to see anyone claim they are trouble free in a jk yet.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts