JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many members are using this CB (Cobra 75WXST Handset Mobile 40-channel CB Radio)? I am looking to add one to the JK and I would like to mount an external speaker right above the rear view mirror. has anyone done this? If so, how did you fasten the speaker above the rear view mirror? Thanks for the input.

Todd

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have this CB (its the all in one I believe). I have the bracketron bracket to hold the CB next to the radio so I didn't really need a speaker. But an external speaker is a better idea. Hard to hear the CB cruising down the road with the top down and doors off...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Where did you get that CB mic mount????? I have the one supplied in the box temporarily zip tied to my grab handle.... it sucks.... a lot....

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
i have the cb, but not the external speaker. it is pretty easy to run wires to the area you are thinking about.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I have a 75, no external speaker as the built in works fine for me. I didn't use the provided mic clip, I used a black plastic for a UHF radio. I have the cord tucked away for most of the time and hanging loose when on the trail.

Attachments

A

·
0 Posts
I installed a 75 also. I made my own mic mount, mounted the junction box behind the glove box with zip ties and used the mic plug/socket that came with the CB (so I could disconnect it when not in use).

I don’t see the need for an external speak, the one built into the mic works for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I would guess that you're going to have to remove some plastic above the mirror and drill some holes into the windshield frame to screw the speaker bracket in. I've seen external speakers mounted on the console forward of the 4wd shifter too. I opted not to use an external speaker with mine. Where I have it mounted makes it pretty easy to hear. They have a fairly loud built in speaker. I just screwed the clip that came with it into the plastic console cover. I also rattle canned the clip dark gray so when the cb's not there, I'm not blinded by the clip's blinginess..

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just installed my CB today. I do not have pics but it does seem plenty loud enough. At highway speed with no top and no doors it may not be to loud though.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
...and I would like to mount an external speaker right above the rear view mirror. has anyone done this? If so, how did you fasten the speaker above the rear view mirror?
I know not what you said you were looking for but, just an idea to possibly save some trouble...have you seen the visor mounted external speakers? Most external speakers I have seen have been a little large to mount behind a mirror. I am sure there are some smaller ones somewhere out there though...

Now I am curious myself, time to hit the google machine, I will let you know what I find....

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Please do. I'm getting ready to purchase one of these. Does the connector box come with it or is that a separate purchase? Mind asking what you all paid for it? Where you got it?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know not what you said you were looking for but, just an idea to possibly save some trouble...have you seen the visor mounted external speakers? Most external speakers I have seen have been a little large to mount behind a mirror. I am sure there are some smaller ones somewhere out there though...

Now I am curious myself, time to hit the google machine, I will let you know what I find....
There are ones out there that are 4.5" square that I think would fit right above the mirror...Please let me know what you find...:D

Todd

·
Registered
397 Posts
I may have to look into getting one of those speakers. I am having a hard time hearing the all the Spanish speaking truck drivers on my way to work!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Camping World has these on sale for under $100.00.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Looks great!:)

I'd love to get me one... but they seem to only go by the AM-bandwidth. Anyone knows if it's even possible to upgrade or modify them to FM instead? (As what we use over here in Sweden for the CB's...)

A

·
0 Posts
I doubt you can convert AM to FM. UK CBs are also FM, have you tried looking on-line on UK electronic sites?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts