JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those that mounted in the glove box, how did you get thru the firewall to the battery? Can it de done without drilling? I am looking, but cannot find a way thru. Appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Brent

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
there are a few access holes, look for rubber covered holes in the engine compartment. there should be one right by the battery tray. or you could poke out the foam in the hole in the aluminum dash plate that is hidden by the plastic side cover.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see nothing.... Took the battery out to see if that would show a way, but no dice, battery tray is immense and covers damn near the whole side of the firewall. What a PIA!!! Thinking about drilling a hole, but have to make sure I do not come out behind the damn heater/assembly. Thought this would be easy. Up to this point it was easy, but without power, I am no where.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it done, ended up routing over to the drivers side, and thru the firewall. Piece of cake once I decided to go on that side. Thanks all, appreciate the input.

Brent

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you ever decide to clean it up a little, there is a hole filled with foam on the passenger's side. You have to remove the trim that is directly beside the door, on the passenger's side of the dash, the part that's parallel to the way you sit. The wire will run up near the hood seem outside. I used some corrugated tubing there for protection and cosmetics. Let me know if you are interested and I'll take some pics.

I'm not sure how you did it, but you can easily put the radio unit behind the glove box, not in it. Just squeeze the sides of the glove box to take it out. That will save some space if you have the radio actually inside it. Then, you can run the mic controller cable from under the trim or drill a hole if you want.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sparkplug,

Would love some pictures of the access you mention. I sure didn't find it!!!! I did not mount in the GB, unit is mounted behind the GB. I just tie wrapped it to an aluminun piece, saw now need to bolt it in. I did drill thru the trim to run the CB cord however, turn out nice. Now I am waiting on a new coax as I boogered up the firt one bad. Patience ran low, I pulled thru the tailgat a bit hard and was left with two pieces, not good. Lesson learned. Once I get the new coax, I should be set.

Brent

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got one for you, had to wait on daylight.

I didn't take my dash panels off because I always seem to scratch something just a little every time I do. You can still get some orientation of where this access is from this outside shot. The foam is visible way near the back. Find it on yours from the outside and you can get an idea of where it would be behind your dash. Also, you can see where the wire has to run to get to the battery and how I used the tubing. It provides protection when opening and closing the hood and also looks better because there are no wires visible. There are two sets of lines running here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The Foam Hole

Being a new JK owner, I understand where you are coming from. The descriptions, write-ups, and images on this forum are very good for finding your way around your new JK.

The side of the dash panel is easy to remove with just your fingers so the risk of scratching/bending/cracking the plastic is really low. Open up the passenger side front door and take a look. Pop that side panel off and place it on the seat where it won't get scratched.

Looky there. A thumb sized hole in the aluminum filled with beige foam.

I opened the hood and I couldn't see where the foam hole entered the engine bay either. *shrugs* I put a little faith in JKOwners forum and I shoved the whip from a handy Larsen NMO150 antenna though the hole. It came out under the triangular shaped brace exactly where you would want it to if you were heading for the battery. I noticed that online, most folks don't have wires inside this little triangle. Works for me so far. I taped my power cables to the antenna stinger one, then the other, to minimize the "Blob" factor, and I back pulled everything right through the foam. No drama. No damage (except a small hole in the middle of the foam filled hole.)

Next time, I'm pulling through some "pull cord" through the hole so I can easily pull an additional wire through there in the future.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone, that access hole worked perfectly. My 8' of wire running across the engine compartment, and then entering the cab on the drivers side, and finally running under the dash all the way to the glovebox.......has now been cleaned up with less than 2' of wire. Wished I had tried to look under that end panel when I started this project, that is slick access right there. Used a couple grommets in the process, one in the mentioned foam hole, the other in a hole thru the AL dash/glovebox frame. Still waiting on my new coax, perhaps it wil arrive on Friday.

Brent

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.