JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my cheap-ass Cobra 75 finally stopped working after a year (and my son's stopped working last weekend after 3 months of use:shaking:). I ran a tuned and peaked Cobra 29 in my XJ and Suburban and absolutely loved the unit, so I'm thinking its time to stop messing around with the "toy" CBs and put a real one in my JK ;). My JK is down for a couple weeks while I wait for Currie to make me a new axle, so i figured that this is a good time to stop procrastinating and get it done.

Problem is that the 29 is a huge unit. I have decided that I want to mount it above the rear-view mirror, but do not want to bolt that heavy bastard to the plastic trim up there. What kind of metal mounts have some of you fabricated to get this CB up there. Ive seen plenty of pics of installs, but no write ups on the custom mounts that were used to make that location work.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
i know jay has a steel bar that runs across with a hole on each side that the pins for the door surrounds hold down, then he just mounted it to that. i believe he had it made and it works nicely and can easily be removed if needed.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
add a few pieces of 1 3/4" tubing and it'll be strong enough. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

·
Registered
13,230 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
So how do you access the hard top front center latch?
If I had a hard top, I would probably know! lol

I'm not sure how I'd do it, probably leave the mount a little looser so I can rotate the radio up, and maybe move the radio back (towards the glass) on the mount if I needed more room.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts