JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using a co2 tank to refill their tires. I found a source at www.powertank.com. Sounds like a good alternative to carrying around a compressor.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
powertank is probably the most common brand of co2 off-roaders use. Only real downfall to co2 is refilling the bottle. Which, from my understanding can be $25+ depending on the size (may be a wrong figure, those with it can tell for sure)

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Speed

I like the speed of the power tank. But not the refelling part. If you need more air then it has left in the tank then your screwed. At least with the compressor you never run out of air, even if it is slow!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
How much does your powertank cost to fill?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
10.40 for a 10# co2 exchange :thefinger:
Not bad, i like the poly kit. Comes with a non-fancy bottle i wouldn't care about swapping out. versus the fancy powertank you'd want to get filled.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
My 10# Powertank costs on average $20 to fill. If I am just using it for my Jeep, I get 4 trips out of it(35s from 12 to 35 psi) with some to spare before having to refill it.

Super fast inflation times compared to compressor system (I have had both). It's nice being the last one to the air up spot and being the 1st to finish airing up while everyone else is either waiting to borrow a compressor or still hunched over getting their tires filled.

Best prices around when you use your JKOWNERS discount in addition to FREE SHIPPING on all Powertank systems: http://www.rdmoffroad.com/co2tanksandaccessories.aspx

James

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Check out Ultimate Air. They are easily as good as Powertank, cheaper, and the owner is about as nice a guy as you'll ever meet. He will bend over backwards to make you happy about your purchase.

As far as tanks themselves, they are faster than compressors, and you can run tools of them and such. The problem is when on the trail, people who don't have air always want you to share. They apparently don't realize you have to pay for the fills, and it will run out. I personally have a bottle and a compressor. I won't always break out the bottle when I'm around a bunch of people I don't know. I will just use my compressor. I don't mind sharing, but filling it after every outing gets real old and expensive.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
go to your local welding shop and get a bottle. if you want a nice one ask for a beverage grade tank ( they are the nice spun aluminum tanks.) that way you can take it in when its empty, and exchange it for another one, no waiting. I pay $15 when i exchange for another tank. cheaper than a power tank

·
Registered
121 Posts
here is a 10lb tank and regulator for 160.00 http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3

now i used an old 15lb nos tank i had an converted it to co2 and it will do about 48-50 tire refills and it only cost me 15.00 to fill my home made system cost about 120.00 to make but i i like it it is quicker then a compressor and it works great with air tools on and off the trails just my 2 cents

·
Registered
290 Posts
We use a powertank and purchased it for the speed it fills tires. Our local 4WD shop shop fills my 10# tank for $11.

Portability is also nice if you need to help a fellow Jeeper on the trail. Only drawback would be running out of CO2 on the trail, but as long as you pay attention you should be fine.

After 20+ years of having spark plug compressors and on board air we opted this year for the speed of the powertank--Love It!!

·
Openly Hostile
6,982 Posts
I bought a 10lb beverage co2 tank for $90and a regulator for about $40. I pay $20 to get it refilled at a brewing supply store - get the tank refilled AND get some craft brew. :beer:

·
Openly Hostile
6,982 Posts
10.40 for a 10# co2 exchange :thefinger:
yeah, but you know what is priceless....hearing you talk chit about me paying $20 for my tank refill and then realizing that you need to borrow air because that new tank you just exchanged was empty! :thefinger::thefinger::thefinger: (true story)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Check out Ultimate Air. They are easily as good as Powertank, cheaper, and the owner is about as nice a guy as you'll ever meet. He will bend over backwards to make you happy about your purchase.
Oz

Where can we get them filled locally? How much for a 10 lb tank?

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
so let me make sure i understand this...

People pay more money for the speed to air up the tires with a co2, but could face running out of air vs people buying a good air compressor that is portable and never running out of air?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yup. strange world we live in, aint it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts