JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10lb Co2 tank mounted in the back:

Today is very nice weather- going to be around 80*f, so I have my top off. And my Jeep is sitting in the office parking lot in direct sunlight. I have had people tell me that the tank could get too hot and burst the disc with it sitting in sunlight like that. And I've had others tell me that they have wheeled places like Moab in the heat of the summer with no problems of bursting the disc.

So what's the reality? What are the chances of the disc bursting while parked (keep in mind that during the heat of our summers we can regularly see temps of 100+f). And if I do happen to blow the burst disc, is it something a refill shop can easily replace?

G

·
Mine is mounted to the cage and was out in the open like that all summer including Moab in July with 115° temps. I was fine.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,820 Posts
I have had mine in the sun and stored in the shade at 100 plus temps and never have had a problem. I'm sure at some point it could burst but I have not heard of any. If it was a gas, then I would guess expansion could be more of a problem vs. a liquid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about it. I have seen SCUBA tanks pop a burst disc when left in the sun, but that is a gas in that tank. You're CO2 is a liquid in that tank and is less sensitive the changes in temperature. The expansion of a gas with a 30 or 40 degree temp change (70 to 110 in the sun for example) is much more significant that a liquid with the same temp change. I work on bulk freighters and have seen CO2 fire extinguishers sitting in the lower engine room in between two 4000hp boilers and not have a problem. The engineers have those laser thermometers so they can temp the fuel tanks and I used to to temp the fire extinguisher and the surface temp on the tank was 180 degrees F. The gauge was reading a little high on the pressure, but the disc did not pop.

To finish answering the OP's question... yes, the facility that refills the tank can replace a burst disc as long as there is no damage to the tank. (Pretty obvious). Some places may require you to have a hydro test if you burst a disc.

Ben

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I've had my rupture disk burst. It was an hour after I had it filled and I was driving home. It was in the 100's and it was sitting in the back. It's not that big of a deal if it goes, you here a pop and the roar of the gas coming out. The problem is if you have your top on. It will remove all breathable air out of the cab even with a leaky soft top. If it happens just pull over and open all the doors; do it quick, I was caught in the fast lane and had my head out the window. When I returned to the fill station the service tech said I had an old disk, and they overfilled it a bit. I now ask for new disks every year and ask them to be sure it's not over filled.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I work for a supplier of co2. You are fine. It is a liquid, as long as the tank is not overfilled you are ok.
there ya go Steve-O....

I have seen scuba tanks' burst disks fail when stored in direct sunlight but all were either over filled or had old burst disks in them - plus the obvious compressed air. They are just little brass disks.

hey Big C.... are the burst disks in the alum CO tanks the same style (diff pressure rating) as an HP air tank?

·
Registered
178 Posts
All the relief valve's have different pressure bursting disks, some just have pressure relief valves. Some tanks have a melting plug. Not a Guru just know the basics.. But a co2 tank aluminum or a steel tank makes no diffrence except the aluminum is lighter. A high pressure tank can hold anywhere from 1800 psi up to 5000 psi the co2 tanks are usually about 500 psi..

·
Banned
10,062 Posts
CO2 will only expand and rupture the burst disc if you are facing south and it is between the months of April and October. The temperature has to be between 102.8º and 103.74º as well. I know this for a fact because my uncle's first wife's nephew's ex-room mate saw it happen to his friend's sister's rig twice.

And that's a fact.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
CO2 will only expand and rupture the burst disc if you are facing south and it is between the months of April and October. The temperature has to be between 102.8º and 103.74º as well. I know this for a fact because my uncle's first wife's nephew's ex-room mate saw it happen to his friend's sister's rig twice.

And that's a fact.
:laughing:

Yeah. That sounds right. Thanks for the advice:laughing:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.