JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question for the manual drivers. I just bought a 08 unlimited with a manual. When I am in stop and go traffic just using first gear, I get a shudder when I push in the clutch. It feels like the transmission is shakin. Again, this only happens when I am rolling in 1st gear and push in the clutch. I took it to the dealership and was told that since I only have 500 miles on the Jeep the clutch is not broken in yet? I even took a tech on a ride and showed him the shudder and he told me that was not normal. But after leaving it at the dealership for a day I get a phone call and they told me- a) I need to get used to driving a clutch {this is my 4 wrangler with a manual transmission} and b) the clutch is not broken in yet........ Sorry for the newb question but I am wondering if I should just go with it since I have plenty of warranty on it or should I make the 60 mile round trip to the next nearest dealership. Thank you in advance!

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
It is always worth a 2nd (sometimes 3rd opinion) to get some more input. Many dealerships/ service techs do not have much experience with specific areas (Many don't have a clue as to the workings/ repair of manual transmissions). I assume that you are driving/ shifting correctly. There is a break in period for a new clutch- but there should not be excessive vibrations either. I have been through 4 manual trans jeeps- all brand new and never experienced anything from the trans/ clutch that early in the game that made me think it should be serviced (besides a throwout bearing).

You may want to drive another couple hundred miles on it and see if it starts to feel better- since it will still be under warranty- but you will at the least, have some piece of mind if you decide to take it for another diagnosis from another (possibly more qualified/ jeep friendly) dealership to see what they say.

Good luck and post back with any additional info or questions.

·
Registered
660 Posts
From my limited JK experience it's not normal. This is my 6th Jeep, first JK - no vibration or anything other than perfectly smooth. I agree with the second opinion. Either that or ride it out for another couple of thousand miles and have them replace it under warranty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts