JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 15 JK Unlimited Sahara with stock tires and have been waiting until I needed new tires to go bigger. 99% on road driving. I don't want a lift, I just want bigger, wider, tougher tires and rims. What size rims & tires can/should you get without rubbing or screwing up suspension (or anything else)?

·
Registered
79 Posts
A set of 33” tires on 17” rims will look good. With a 2 door and the 3.6 engine you won’t feel the difference of moving to a taller and wider tire. It should be a 285/70/17. Look at discounttiredirect or tire rack. You can pick your wheels and tires, buy them mounted and balanced as a package. I have done this for my last 3 Jeeps.
I like BFG AT’s and GY Duratracs. Falken AT3’s come on the “upgraded” JL models in the 285 size. Good looking tire, have a look at your local used sale sites, some guys are upgrading and will sell this size cheap!

·
No Longer a Supporting Vendor
1,270 Posts
Have a 15 JK Unlimited Sahara with stock tires and have been waiting until I needed new tires to go bigger. 99% on road driving. I don't want a lift, I just want bigger, wider, tougher tires and rims. What size rims & tires can/should you get without rubbing or screwing up suspension (or anything else)?
As mentioned going with a 285/70R-17 is a good size for your Jeep without having much effect to your stock ride. There are many options fro wheels as well. Going with a 17x 8.5 inch wheel would work as well.

PM coming your way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don’t know about you but personally I like bigger sidewall so my first upgrade on my 2012 JKUR was from 255 75 17 stock to 33 12.50 15. If you aren’t planning on going bigger than 35s in the future you wouldn’t need to beef up the front end or upgrade to a big brake kit. So get yourself some cheap 15 or 16 inch alloy rims with 33 12.5 tires.
When I was running those 33 15s most ppl thought I was running 35s. Bigger sidewall and wide stance makes tires look bigger.

·
Registered
276 Posts
At the beginning of winter, I got a set of the Falken Wildpeak AT3s. Good looking tire, rides very quietly and grips well. I kept the stock 17" 5-spoke JKU wheels and got size P245/75s (32"). I was sort of going for the "donut" approach.

I immediately questioned whether I should have gotten LTs because my P-series seemed squirmy, so after 300 miles or so, I had DT add more tire pressure, which added lateral stability, but I have been feeling every irregularity in our fine Michigan roads. Yesterday, I bled some air from them, to improve the ride, which helped.

I would get the same tire, but in LT255/80R17s (33") if I could reconsider my purchase.

2015 JKU, 2.5" Teraflex coil lift, added weight of AEV bumpers and tire carrier.

·
Registered
830 Posts
For starters, if you go to a 12.50 tire (12.5” in width) you will either need to get new rims or buy 1.5” wheel spacers if you plan on using 5he stock rims. The stock rims have too much off set for a wide tire. The tires will end up rubbing when you turn the steering wheel.

Next, you can “fit” a 33” tall tire on the JK but it will really be stuffed in there. They will most likely rub on the fender flares when you hit bumps. You can switch out the stock flares for flat fender flares.

I have a 2” AEV budget boost lift on my 2013 Rubicon and am running 33x10.50s on 17” rims with 1.5” wheel spacers and flat tube fenders. I can easily fit 35” tires on my setup with the tube fenders.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.