JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running a 4.5" Rubicon Express kit with 37", but the upward travel in the rear is limited by the rear portion of the stock rock sliders & body sheetmetal. It looks like the sliders can be cut back with a chop saw, etc., but I'd like to hear what others have done with the sheet metal.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
I have the RE 4 1/2" lift and thought I might have the same issue...I am only running 35" tires, although this mod should be sufficient to get the 37's to clear. I simply chopped the slider back about 1 1/2" and the same w/ the sheet metal. You can use tape, white colored pencil, or white-out pen to mark before cutting. Both the sheetmetal and the sliders are cut at an angle...sort of parallel w/ the shape of the tire(s). The plastic "plug" fit right back into the slider. If you need...I can shoot a couple pics tomorrow and post em.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few pictures would be great.....thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
Looked at my jeep a few minutes ago and it looks like you could cut the stuff back aliitle bit further than I did...like maybe 2". I have stuffed the 35's pretty good and there is plenty of room and no rubbing issues. Again...a couple pics tomorrow.......(oh sh!t...today!). BTW...Nice call on the 1350's...Beefy!

·
Registered
108 Posts
You could install a 1" body lift, I have been told that this will clear 37's. I went with the M.O.R.E. since it is billet aluminum.

I have also had friends with 37 13.50's that have rubbed on front aftermarket bumpers at full stuff in the front. Best to go with a stubby up front when on 37's.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Chop the sliders back at least 2". I dont mark, I just CHOP!:thefinger:

Then using a cutting/grinding wheel on a die grinder, cut back the body as much as you can- I cut the seam completely out then tapped with a hammer to get the body back together to make a seam. Then weld it. That will give you about 3" more clearance.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
I chopped my rear bumper, too. Your bumper may clear the tires. Also trimmed up the lower front inner liner- doesnt hurt anything, but my tires would rub the liner a bit and make some noise. But I only have a 3" lift with 37s.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
You could install a 1" body lift, I have been told that this will clear 37's. I went with the M.O.R.E. since it is billet aluminum.
I think you'll find you still have to trim that area anyway.

I have also had friends with 37 13.50's that have rubbed on front aftermarket bumpers at full stuff in the front. Best to go with a stubby up front when on 37's.
It may still happen, I had to trim my front PJ stubby to prevent rubbing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
To clear 37's with the 4.5" JKLA kit you will have to trim the factory rock rails that the Rubicon edition Jeep come with. Only about an inch needs to be removed. Be carefull not to cut the pinch weld.
Non Rubicon Jeeps do not have to do any modifications due to the lack of factory rock rails.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.