JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I cleaned my throttle body today and figured I would snap a few pics to do a write-up for the site since there isn't one on this subject yet. My Jeep was running sluggishly and had a rough idle to the point that I thought the Jeep was going to shut off. So here it goes...

Tools:
Ratchet
10mm Socket
8mm Socket or Flathead Screwdriver
E10 (Reverse TORX) Socket
Throttle Body Cleaner (Spray types are easier to use)
Shop Towels

1. Using a 10mm socket disconnect the negative battery terminal first and then disconnect the positive battery terminal.

2. Slide the red clip on the plug at the intake air temp sensor and unclip the plug from the sensor.

3. Use an 8mm socket or a flathead screwdriver to loosen the clamp that secures the intake tube to the throttle body and pull the intake tube away from the throttle body assembly.

4. Unclip the throttle body harness from the lower portion of the throttle body.

5. Remove the 4 TORX head bolts on the throttle body using the E10 Reverse TORX socket and seperate the throttle body from the engine. As you can see from the picture below, the front side of the butterfly has some residue on it.

I would recommend not removing the o-ring that seperates the throttle body from the intake manifold as some people have stretched the o-ring when removing it which causes it to seat improperly when reinstalling the throttle body. FYI, the o-ring is $24 at your local dealer!

This image shows what your dirty throttle body probably looks like.

6. Using your throttle body cleaner of choice and shop towels clean the butterfly and surrounding area. I used CRC Throttle Body Cleaner since I had a can in the shed but many people swear by Seafoam.

7. Reinstall all of the parts in reverse order of how you removed them. Torque the throttle body bolts to 65 in/lbs or 5.5 ft/lbs. Start the Jeep to verify that everything is back in working order and you are finished!

·
Registered
854 Posts
I did mine too! Easiest thing I've done so far :)

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is very easy...I cant believe the dealers are charging $100 and up to do this service.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havent had any problems thus far and have driven about 150 miles. I will update again soon as I am going to post before and after mpg numbers. My mpg gauge in the Jeep has increased substantially for the mileage driven so I think that says something.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm waiting to see any change. I was having a little bit of an idle problem and a little lag when going thru gears from a complete stop. Still am so not sure yet if that helped, but heck I'm happy it's clean now!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I did this tonight because I was having a rough idle and i'm at 15K miles. With a quick speed test around the island it seems to have cured it. I also added a new air filter.

But my question is; those of you who did this, was the oring between the throttle body and the motor bigger than the room it need to fit back into? I tucked it into the crack at the bottom of the housing on the motor and torqued it down? Seem fine for now but may pick up a replacement from the dealer on Monday to be safe.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I did this tonight because I was having a rough idle and i'm at 15K miles. With a quick speed test around the island it seems to have cured it. I also added a new air filter.

But my question is; those of you who did this, was the oring between the throttle body and the motor bigger than the room it need to fit back into? I tucked it into the crack at the bottom of the housing on the motor and torqued it down? Seem fine for now but may pick up a replacement from the dealer on Monday to be safe.
If I am understanding correctly......I was a little concerned when I went to re-attach the throttle body, because the (white) o-ring seemed to affect getting it (the throttle body) seated properly. I tried rotating/ shifting the throttle body around to make sure that the o-ring wasn't getting pinched, but it sort of felt like it wasn't 100% seated when I went to tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes that explanation is better and easier to understand. Have you done this and experienced the white oring not fitting back properly?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Only complaint I have is disconnecting the positive side of the battery first. Other than that, carry on :grinpimp:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Yes that explanation is better and easier to understand. Have you done this and experienced the white oring not fitting back properly?
Well I would have to take it off again to see if the o-ring shows signs of being pinched. I torqued the bolts down (cross pattern), and there is no gap where the throttle-body attaches, but I am still wondering.

I pushed open the butterfly to see if I could feel around the inside of the intake, and couldn't feel any part of the o-ring getting pinched or squished inside.....but I couldn't tell. I may take it off next week just to check for signs of damage to the o-ring. I will post up if I see that it got pinched or un-seated.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Elaborate please...
Okay if your ratchet is touching the positive terminal and the ground is still on, you are basically ratcheting a huge hot positive terminal around. Making ANY ground you may potentially touch (paying attention or not) a huge source straight to ground. If you remove the ground side first, you can touch ground and nothing happens. The only thing you worry about is touching the positive side. So if you are actually removing the battery you disconnect the ground first, then there is nothing you can short to ground when it's time to remove the positive side.

Now the Jeep doesn't have much it can really short to by the battery, however it's a fairly bad habit to get into. It's fairly common to vehicles to have lots of place you could short your tool (and actually maybe weld it) and have an issue..

That is why people remove the ground side first. :beer:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well I would have to take it off again to see if the o-ring shows signs of being pinched. I torqued the bolts down (cross pattern), and there is no gap where the throttle-body attaches, but I am still wondering.

I pushed open the butterfly to see if I could feel around the inside of the intake, and couldn't feel any part of the o-ring getting pinched or squished inside.....but I couldn't tell. I may take it off next week just to check for signs of damage to the o-ring. I will post up if I see that it got pinched or un-seated.
Thanks for the reply. The o-ring itself on mine is just to big for the housing. When I took it off it did not seem to be properly in the gap. I believe it may just be mine and I am going to grab a new o-ring from the dealer to double check. I will post up tomorrow after work.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I cleaned my TB this weekend and although it wasn't too bad for almost 45K miles. I did find that the clamps on the tube from the stock box to the TB had loosend and dust was getting through to the intake manifold. So if not for anything else, at I fixed a potential problem.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts

try putting the o-ring in the freezer for about 30 minutes, remove it and put it in place as fast as you can. i've done this in the past with other o-ring jobs and it usually works unless the o-ring is already damaged/pinched. no one mentioned the torque values for the TB bolts. anyone?:D

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay if your ratchet is touching the positive terminal and the ground is still on, you are basically ratcheting a huge hot positive terminal around. Making ANY ground you may potentially touch (paying attention or not) a huge source straight to ground. If you remove the ground side first, you can touch ground and nothing happens. The only thing you worry about is touching the positive side. So if you are actually removing the battery you disconnect the ground first, then there is nothing you can short to ground when it's time to remove the positive side.

Now the Jeep doesn't have much it can really short to by the battery, however it's a fairly bad habit to get into. It's fairly common to vehicles to have lots of place you could short your tool (and actually maybe weld it) and have an issue..

That is why people remove the ground side first. :beer:
So, is the way I put wrong then? If so I can change it....just need to make sure you mean disc negative terminal and then disc positive terminal.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
1 - 20 of 63 Posts