JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was washing the Jeep today, first pretty nice day for March in Kansas (76°), and when it came time for the fender flares and bumpers they can don't stay clean/wet looking. Any ideas on products to maintain that new black vs. faded dirty grey? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I've tried probably about a dozen different types of commercial restorers/ cleaners, home-remedies, etc.. on more than a few vehicles over the years including OEM Jeep fenders.

Certain ones just flat out don't work. Others look okay but then fade or wash off quickly/ easily. Only ONE that I've used and it actually works, works well, lasts an amazingly long time, and can actually be used on a variety of plastics successfully is called WIPE NEW. It's made by Rustoleum. The package says it works on rubber and vinyl too but that's hit or miss with this stuff. I wouldn't expect great results on everything regardless of the claims on the label, but it works damn good for clean plastic that hasn't previously been treated with other restorers, carnuba, etc. There's a bunch of other little detailing crap in the box but all I used was the micro-fiber cloth. The bottle is pretty damn small at only 1.5 oz but as it states on the package- a little goes a long way.

Here's a random link... walmart.com but you can find the stuff at typical retailers, auto parts stores, etc.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wipe-New-Trim-Kit/52600448?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl

·
Registered
420 Posts
I've also heard good things about Wipe New but haven't tried it yet. I've used 303 aerospace, which works OK but takes a lot of product and doesn't last that long. Mothers Back to Black is OK but I like 303 a little better. The best working / longest lasting product I've used is Armor All Outlast Trim and Plastic Restorer.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Only ONE that I've used and it actually works, works well, lasts an amazingly long time, and can actually be used on a variety of plastics successfully is called WIPE NEW. It's made by Rustoleum.
Wonder if that would work on Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I'm not sure if it would work on liner/ coatings or not. My guess would be that it would but I never tried it so I can't say for sure.

·
Mall Crawler Extraordinaire
97 Posts
I will second the Wipe New stuff. Was really skeptical of it initially but my brother in law used it on his fenders and bumpers and it seemed to hold up ok and last so I figured why not. This crap works. I've had it on everything plastic since July last year and it made it through one of the harshest winters we've ever had (lots of snow and ice which means deicer). Normally the plastics would be chalky and borderline white at this point but they are still nice and black. It definitely doesn't maintain the "wet look" if that is your thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts