JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my Rubicon off on Monday morning to have Clayton Offroad Manufacturing's 3.5" suspension lift installed. The shop, Caldwell Automotive in Carrollton, GA is the shop I chose to install it. I have had them do a few smaller things for me and they've done a good job and charged me a fair price.

The lift is still in the process of being put on, but it was almost complete this afternoon when I picked up the tires and wheels for another member. They need to bolt up a few remaining things, test things out, and then get it aligned. So by tomorrow afternoon I should have her in all her glory.

I'll have some additional feedback after I get to test it out and more pictures. Unfortunately, the camera died after the first picture. I took some with my cell phone, but they turned out really bad because of the lighting. I will definitely take more tomorrow.

The one comment I can make on the kit right now is that the shop felt there was enough rake to justify leaving in the 1" spacers that I had in there. I had added spacers a long time ago to the stock suspension, because of the weight from the Shrockworks mid-width bumper and Warn Power Plant (even with synthetic line and no roller fairlead).

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
thats gonna be nice when they get done! You got to get out on a ride with us sometime. Your Jeep would would do very well in our group

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats gonna be nice when they get done! You got to get out on a ride with us sometime. Your Jeep would would do very well in our group
Believe it or not I've been watching the club's board. I am very few windows to go off-roading and the times have either been poor or I didn't have the budget for it. The wife doesn't protest much, and I want to keep it that way.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats included with this kit? my frien ran the claytton long arm on his cherokee and it was great.
It's a complete kit less the shocks and rear track bar which is an add-on that I purchased. You get eight adjustable control arms, coil springs, front adjustable track bar, JKS front disconnecting swaybar links, rear swaybar links, monstrous rear trackbar bracket, bumpstops, and brake cables.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
do you mind posting a link to the lift? Sounds like a good kit for sure. I am in the process of lift shopping.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here it is:
http://www.claytonoffroad.com/index... List&l=make!model!modelEx&p=Jeep!Wrangler!JK

One thing else I want to add is that Clayton Offroad has been great to work with. I called them before purchasing and talked with Adam for over 40 minutes about general questions and concerns about the lift. I didn't get placed on hold or anything and he genuinely didn't act like he had anything better to do which I know wasn't the case.

I went into the conversation with him wanting to go for the 4.5" kit. He said that the 3.5" would be sufficient for 35"s and convinced me that route. I still wasn't sold and asked if there was an escape clause; i.e. I'd pay some type of restocking and shipping and get the larger springs. He did one better and said that if I kept the plastic around the springs when they were installed that he'd swap them out if I wanted the larger ones. Awesome service in my opinion. (And as you can see from the pictures the shop forgot that step, but that's not really the point.)

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Thanks for the link! Ill have to put them on the list. I like the 3.5" kit but I do plan to go up to 37's one day so not sure if ill do 3.5" with flat fenders or just a 4.5" kit. Definitely post pictures when they are done.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only difference between the 3.5" and 4.5" kits are the springs. It would be easy to swap them later. I think you'll want the 3.5" with 35s when you see these pictures...

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And it's done. I completely love the look! It is exactly that I was hoping it would look like. First here is a before and after:

Here are more pictures of the suspension and drive lines:

There are more images here (I couldn't post anymore because of the picture limit rule):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgrt/sets/72157604849242802/

The Jeep drove really nice on the way home. The Nittos are loud and have an interesting tone, but I didn't find them too annoying. The ESP came on with one tight turn I made near the shop, but it wasn't a problem on other turns. I'm not sure if it's a problem or not.

I used the Hypertech Max Energy before I left the shop to set the tires at 34.75. I didn't want to mess with trying to make the chalk line and stuff while I was there. Additionally, for those that have Nittos on a 2-door what do you set your tire pressure at?

Here is what was added:
  • Clayton Offroad Manufacturing 3.5" kit
  • JE Reel 1350 drive shafts
  • Teraflex spare tire carrier adapter
  • Nitto Mud Grapplers 35"x12.5"x17"
  • Cragar Soft 8s 17"x8"x4.5"
I didn't get starting dimensions, but here is what I measured after the fact:

front, up to frame rail = 28"
middle, up to frame rail = 20.25"
rear, up to frame rail = 27"
height, top off = 76" (6' 4")

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
very nice! And i think you are right, the 3.5" gives a lot of room.

O and the PSI, I dont have the same tires but I am another 2dr on 35's and I usually run around 32 PSI cold on the streets. It measures more around 35 PSI on a warmer day like today...

G

·
0 Posts
I agree that the look is just right! That's a very cool looking Jeep. The tires really add a nice touch.

I have a 2 door with 35's (Goodyear MTRs) and run 33psi on the street. I haven't been scientific at arriving at that pressure, but it seems about right.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took a little bit to run out to a local place to try out the lift offroad. Overall it performed really good! I was really happy with the flex and how stable it felt.

My driver's side shock boot slipped off. I just don't think it was tight enough. There was also a loud noise a few times. It seemed to come from the front end, and I think it occurred when the front end was compressed more. But, I'm not sure about that. I checked it out really quick when I got back, but I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looks very nice, I hope to have the same setup within the next few months.
Do you have stock gears, and if so how do they handle the 35's?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still have the stock gears, but I have 5.13s on order. For some reason they are backordered.

G

·
0 Posts
It seemed to come from the front end, and I think it occurred when the front end was compressed more.
You might check to see if your front track bar hits the diff cover. I ran the Riddler front cover with my 3.5" RE kit and the track bar interfered with it on full compression. After trying several things, I ended up going back to the stock cover, though I'm sure there is a better way to solve it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so i assume that means the stock gears suck with the 35's
Yeah, that's a fair assessment. I can feel a little more power from the Hypertech with the setup, so that helps make it workable until I can get the new gears in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That looks nice! I love the color. You'll love the Nitto's. Best tire I ever used in Mud, Rock, whatever...cleans out quickly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts