JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Associated Press:

Chrysler cuts powertrain warranty to 5 years

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Chrysler says its dropping its lifetime powertrain warranty in favor of a 5-year or 100,000-mile guarantee.

Chrysler Spokesman Rick Deneau says the decision was driven by market research that showed consumers prefer warranties with a fixed time period. Powertrain warranties typically cover repair or replacement of transmission and engine parts.

In addition, the 5-year, 100,000-mile warranties will be transferable to new owners if the vehicles are sold before they run out. The previous lifetime warranties were not transferable.

The change is effective with the start of the 2010 model year. :thefinger:

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
yeah I want a warranty that runs out, where in the hell do they find these people. most people that I talk to buy for the longest and best warranty.

·
Registered
11,063 Posts
Yeah I always felt it was a sales gimmick anyway. But it did cover rear axle seal at 40k miles:bounce:

Transferable is cool but
the decision was driven by market research that showed consumers prefer warranties with a fixed time period.
uh huh:shaking:

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
I saw a poll on the CAB that asked if you'd rather have the Lifetime PT warranty at the going price today, 5/100,000 that would net ~$500 lower price, and 3/50,000 at a little lower price still.

Maybe those are the exact numbers, but you get the point. That might be where they got some of their info.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I have seen the people they ask about market research and they are not one of us. They are the same people who voted for Obama and now when yu ask them they sheepishly look away and say they do not remember.

Jason

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
From the Associated Press:

Chrysler cuts powertrain warranty to 5 years

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. — Chrysler says its dropping its lifetime powertrain warranty in favor of a 5-year or 100,000-mile guarantee.

Chrysler Spokesman Rick Deneau says the decision was driven by market research that showed consumers prefer warranties with a fixed time period. Powertrain warranties typically cover repair or replacement of transmission and engine parts.

In addition, the 5-year, 100,000-mile warranties will be transferable to new owners if the vehicles are sold before they run out. The previous lifetime warranties were not transferable.

The change is effective with the start of the 2010 model year. :thefinger:

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Bullsh#t , I'm sure Chrysler did research to determine how long people keep their vehicles on average and I bet it's somewhere around five years and one hundred thousand miles. In my opinion the lifetime warranty was nothing more than five years, one hundred thousand miles for most people. As far as the new transferable warranty is concerned, most people won't use it. Just more marketing bullsh#t. JMHO so :thefinger:

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
"Fixed time period"...:laughing::laughing::laughing:

"Oh, please tell me when it ends...I cannot comprehend "lifetime".

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I agree - a closed ended time and milage limited warranty is favorable for the dealer who paid a consultant and a research firm to tell them what they wanted to hear. That is pretty much the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.
I think the fact that I have 2 vehicles with this warranty I will try to keep them for a few decades - run them hard and make the dealer regret the day they sold me the warranties.:thefinger:

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
I agree - a closed ended time and milage limited warranty is favorable for the dealer who paid a consultant and a research firm to tell them what they wanted to hear. That is pretty much the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.
I think the fact that I have 2 vehicles with this warranty I will try to keep them for a few decades - run them hard and make the dealer regret the day they sold me the warranties.:thefinger:
The dealer didn't sell them to you - they came with the purchase from the manufacturer. As long as the dealer can get Chrysler (or whomever) to honor the warranty, they will be more than happy to make the repairs. It's income for the dealer; they want the warranty to be honored as much as you do.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Bullsh#t , I'm sure Chrysler did research to determine how long people keep their vehicles on average and I bet it's somewhere around five years and one hundred thousand miles. In my opinion the lifetime warranty was nothing more than five years, one hundred thousand miles for most people. As far as the new transferable warranty is concerned, most people won't use it. Just more marketing bullsh#t. JMHO so :thefinger:
Actually when Chrysler said lifetime, it meant 30 years & unlimited miles. Read the contract. My wife say's when I'm 80 I can get a new one.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts