JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, many of you guys know the infamous JK soft top leaks I am talking about, there must be a hundered threads on them and I have read most of them.

My 08 JK has been back to the dealer 3 times and has had all the TSBs done, new header, header seal, door seals and surrounds and it still leaks. Chrysler is sending out a tech rep next week, but I've read where they aren't able to fix the leaks either.

So my question is... for those of you whos dealers have not been able to get your soft top to stop leaking...what was the final outcome? What did you dealership do? Buy your Jeep back, make you lemon law it, get you a '10 and up top, get you an aftermarket top, give up?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Id push for a 2010+ top if you could. Have they not replaced the top yet?

Leaking water and not air I assume?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
In the 7 Jeeps(1 CJ, 2 YJs, 2 TJs & 2 JKs) I've owned, I've never had one where the softop didn't leak a little bit... that's an awful lot of canvas to have a 100% seal IMO.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Where does it leak? Mine leaked at the windsheild, i put the red butt connectors in the latch and it pulled it tighter and sealed it up good.

Do you have half or full doors
The fix for half doors is to take a heat gun and heat the plastic parts that slide into the lower door and bend them 10mm at a time till the window seals. Thats what Chrysler had the dealer here do to mine. still leaks a little but its way better than it was.

·
Registered
106 Posts
mine does not leak at all. Push for a new top.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Two words, LEMOM LAW. I had an 07 that they could'nt fix [ and admitted it to me ]. I got an attorney and ended up with an 09 which I've had no problems with. If you have any questions send me a message.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Both dealerships here in town would not cooperate with me at all in getting my top fixed or replaced under warranty. I ended up replacing the header myself, adding a long seal strip along the header, and tightening the corners where the top wraps around and it seemed to do the trick. It'll still leak over the door if it rains, but it doesn't actually get inside.

I say push for a new top as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2010 4dr and it doesnt leak at any of the seals (windshield or doors), however the water DOES accumulate in the mid section of the soft top when it rains hard and eventually leaks above the rear seats... very annoying!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where does it leak? Mine leaked at the windsheild, i put the red butt connectors in the latch and it pulled it tighter and sealed it up good.

Do you have half or full doors
The fix for half doors is to take a heat gun and heat the plastic parts that slide into the lower door and bend them 10mm at a time till the window seals. Thats what Chrysler had the dealer here do to mine. still leaks a little but its way better than it was.
Half doors. Thanks for the tip, that is the very first time on any board and a gazillion threads that I have seen this tip. I will try it.

Every door leaks. It end up dripping about in the middle of the door but It's difficult to tell where the leaks originate. Here is a video of one of the leaks YouTube - VIDEO Rear Driver door leak 2 12 11

Chrysler sent a tech out to the dealership and they are workingon it today. I will keep you guys updated.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They replaced the header seal with a redesigned one from a 2011 model and adjusted all the doors. Have to wait and see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts