JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got her out to Rausch Creek for a full day of wheeling and had a blast! But never really realized how vulnerable the steering linkage is until I smacked a hidden boulder bending my drag link which crushed my steering stabilizer. I haven seen any skids for that area. Is a chromoly draglink the only good option to protect it? Two of us did the same thing today lol

Funny thing is, even with it bent and my stabilizer crushed it still drives straight and no issues with steering. I drove the the 100+ miles home and it felt no different than normal.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Finally got her out to Rausch Creek for a full day of wheeling and had a blast! But never really realized how vulnerable the steering linkage is until I smacked a hidden boulder bending my drag link which crushed my steering stabilizer. I haven seen any skids for that area. Is a chromoly draglink the only good option to protect it? Two of us did the same thing today lol

Funny thing is, even with it bent and my stabilizer crushed it still drives straight and no issues with steering. I drove the the 100+ miles home and it felt no different than normal.
I don't see a point in skidding it, your choice is:
buy or build a hardcore big ass tie rod, maybe never bend it, maybe break tie rods or bend it when you really whack it. cheap as hell to do yourself or just buy one.
Buy a chromo one and let it flex/bounce back, be done.

as for your steering stabilizer :laughing: I take it you did not see my video I did with no stabalizer on it, lifted, big tires, no issues dispelling the need for a dual or even single setup most of the time.

If you still want one, just mount it high, hell just get the mounts and everything needed for hydro-assist and use THAT as your stabilizer mounting so when/if you do upgrade you are already setup

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rock Krawler and Polly both make a really nice drag link flip. That mounts it a bit higher on the knuckel side. And both are much stronger than stock. As far as tie rods go.... I have the Rock Krawker aluminum one. Its very strong but can flex and spring back. Check out this test video of it - its impressive.
YouTube - JK-Adventure.com Product Review: Rock Krawler's Steel and Aluminum Tie Rods
Have either of those been installed with 15" rims and 35's? I have hear there are issues.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Truck hemi in a JK

You should look into the Reid Knuckles, we have used Rock Krawler, Poly, Currie for tie rods.
www.jeepspeedshop.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts