JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think your attitude is what is BS. I may not be the "God of the Pentastar" as you obviously are, but I have a very wide experience base on all kinds of different engines from motorcycles and atvs, to the Jeeps I have owned before this one, to the thousands of different aircraft (both piston and turbine driven) that I have worked on as a licensed Airframe and Powerplant Technician. In my experience it is pretty normal for any piston engine to exhibit some valvetrain noise for a few seconds at startup. It takes a few seconds for oil to fill up all of the miniscule gaps that are left when gravity causes the oil to drain down while the engine is shut down and the oil pump is not pumping. If these gaps didn't exist any moving parts would be destroyed within seconds because there wouldn't be anywhere for the oil to flow for lubrication. These gaps cause noise until the oil fills them.

I don't think I have seen anyone complaining about engine lights and major problems that didn't have a full time tick. A full time tick is definitely a sign of a problem on any engine, sometimes it is minor such as valves needing to be tightened, or a bad lifter on a pushrod engine...sometimes it is major such as on a dual overhead cam engine that does not have pushrods (like the Pentastar) that shouldn't have any valvetrain noise once running. You my friend are the one that knows NOTHING about me, yet flamed me like I was some punk teenager that truly didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground. Do you want to help people solve their problems or just troll around looking for people to flame?

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
In a brand new Jeep? ?? :suicide: :explode:

I'd be in friggin jail.
I've put $500 High Pressure fuel pumps on 335 BMWs that just rolled off the transport truck. Shit happens.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think your attitude is what is BS. I may not be the "God of the Pentastar" as you obviously are, but I have a very wide experience base on all kinds of different engines from motorcycles and atvs, to the Jeeps I have owned before this one, to the thousands of different aircraft (both piston and turbine driven) that I have worked on as a licensed Airframe and Powerplant Technician. In my experience it is pretty normal for any piston engine to exhibit some valvetrain noise for a few seconds at startup. It takes a few seconds for oil to fill up all of the miniscule gaps that are left when gravity causes the oil to drain down while the engine is shut down and the oil pump is not pumping. If these gaps didn't exist any moving parts would be destroyed within seconds because there wouldn't be anywhere for the oil to flow for lubrication. These gaps cause noise until the oil fills them.

I don't think I have seen anyone complaining about engine lights and major problems that didn't have a full time tick. A full time tick is definitely a sign of a problem on any engine, sometimes it is minor such as valves needing to be tightened, or a bad lifter on a pushrod engine...sometimes it is major such as on a dual overhead cam engine that does not have pushrods (like the Pentastar) that shouldn't have any valvetrain noise once running. You my friend are the one that knows NOTHING about me, yet flamed me like I was some punk teenager that truly didn't know my ass from a hole in the ground. Do you want to help people solve their problems or just troll around looking for people to flame?
Thanks for the info! But before the 2012 Pentastar was put in the Wrangler....it was posted on other sites, that there was a problem with the #2 cylinder. I do not think you are a PUNK at all....Just get your facts right before you post engineering info you have no clue about! Have a nice day! I am done with you and this post.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Okay, update on mine...
Dealer called said it was ready to pick up. I went and turned in my rental car, got my keys, and talked to tech. He said that it was showing P0306 cylinder 6 misfire and that when he wiggled the connector on the #6 coil pack it went away. He swapped the coil pack with #1 cylinder just in case so that he could easily replace it without having to pull intake plenum off again if pack failed. They test drove it all afternoon letting it sit multiple times in the middle. Over 50 miles of test driving and no light or codes. I start it up and within 5 seconds it beeps, light comes on, and it starts misfiring and running rough. I went back in and told them it came on again and they seemed very surprised. I rode with the tech back to his bay and we hooked it up to the scanner. It was getting a constant P2317 Ignition Coil Secondary Circuit- Insufficient Ionization code, and a pending P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire code. He called Chrysler Star back and told them what happened. After 30 minutes he got a reply back to do a compression test, check the injector system with the NOID, and if everything tested ok to replace the PCU. They actually wanted to just try swapping the PCU to see if it would go away, but they didn't have one in stock.

The fact that Chrysler told him to do a compression check even though all of the code indications were ignition related, and without my prompting, tells me they must have finally accepted that there are ongoing issues with the heads. In there defense I can't imagine them giving the Jeep back to me without being fairly certain that they had fixed the problem before.

I made sure that they documented these as 2 separate occurrences since I took possession of the vehicle before the second set of codes flashed. This takes me halfway to Lemon status if it comes down to that, but I am hopeful that they will get this resolved and I won't have any more trouble out of it. At least the tech working on it has been open and honest about what they are doing and letting me participate in the process.

So, for now, we are still in the bad ass minivan, I will update when I have more....:(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Okay, update on mine...
Dealer called said it was ready to pick up. I went and turned in my rental car, got my keys, and talked to tech. He said that it was showing P0306 cylinder 6 misfire and that when he wiggled the connector on the #6 coil pack it went away. He swapped the coil pack with #1 cylinder just in case so that he could easily replace it without having to pull intake plenum off again if pack failed. They test drove it all afternoon letting it sit multiple times in the middle. Over 50 miles of test driving and no light or codes. I start it up and within 5 seconds it beeps, light comes on, and it starts misfiring and running rough. I went back in and told them it came on again and they seemed very surprised. I rode with the tech back to his bay and we hooked it up to the scanner. It was getting a constant P2317 Ignition Coil Secondary Circuit- Insufficient Ionization code, and a pending P0306 Cylinder 6 Misfire code. He called Chrysler Star back and told them what happened. After 30 minutes he got a reply back to do a compression test, check the injector system with the NOID, and if everything tested ok to replace the PCU. They actually wanted to just try swapping the PCU to see if it would go away, but they didn't have one in stock.

The fact that Chrysler told him to do a compression check even though all of the code indications were ignition related, and without my prompting, tells me they must have finally accepted that there are ongoing issues with the heads. In there defense I can't imagine them giving the Jeep back to me without being fairly certain that they had fixed the problem before.

I made sure that they documented these as 2 separate occurrences since I took possession of the vehicle before the second set of codes flashed. This takes me halfway to Lemon status if it comes down to that, but I am hopeful that they will get this resolved and I won't have any more trouble out of it. At least the tech working on it has been open and honest about what they are doing and letting me participate in the process.

So, for now, we are still in the bad ass minivan, I will update when I have more....:(
If you've read my cylinder head thread and that of other folks you'll see it's quite common for them to give the vehicle back with the problem not fixed.

Sad how they play "Mother may I?" with Chrysler to do everything. It would have been much better if they had of did the compression test while the intake was off; as that seems to be the state the engine has to be in to perform it.

I also doubt they're putting this on "two separate ticket."

Anyway, stay on them, and good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was going to ask how they do a compression test on these "fly by wire" engines. Can they hook up the diagnostic tool and command the butterfly(s) to stay open?

Mine should be arriving at the dealer and ready for me to take delivery on either this comming Thursday or Friday. After reading about all of you guy's problems, I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. At least for the majority of you guys with problems, it sounds like Jeep is well aware of the issue and trying to honestly resolve it.

Stay tuned for my experiences on a very late March / very early April build Sport S.

BTW, THANK YOU to everyone who is sharing their stories here.

Pete

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was going to ask how they do a compression test on these "fly by wire" engines. Can they hook up the diagnostic tool and command the butterfly(s) to stay open?

Mine should be arriving at the dealer and ready for me to take delivery on either this comming Thursday or Friday. After reading about all of you guy's problems, I'm hoping for the best but expecting the worst. At least for the majority of you guys with problems, it sounds like Jeep is well aware of the issue and trying to honestly resolve it.

Stay tuned for my experiences on a very late March / very early April build Sport S.

BTW, THANK YOU to everyone who is sharing their stories here.

Pete
With all the water under the bridge I may be wrong, but if I remember right they are actually doing a "cylinder leakdown test." And I for one am guilty of throwing around the wrong term for the test.

There's a difference:

http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/Compression-leakdowntest.htm

I found this to be an interesting sentence: "Good cylinder leakdown readings should be below 5-8%," because my mechanic stated Chrysler doesn't do anything unless the loss is greater than 15%.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Pete
We do it the old fashioned way, we remove the spark plug, install a compression guage, remove the fuel pump relay, and spin the engine over.

The sad part is, having worked for Ford, now Chrysler, our hands are tied... we have to follow set guidelines and processes they set or they wont pay the dealership for the repairs, the dealer WANTS to fix your car and fix it fast. But we have no chose but to follow what Detroit wants us to do.

They know, we know, and you know, the Pentastar has head issues, and i promise you, they are scrambling to figure out who and what got screwed up, because this is the motor of choise in ALOT of vehicles

I am sorry you guys are going through this, but be patient... EVERYONE is waiting for the new heads right now

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.