JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to order River Raider full corners and sliders to begin comp cutting our ride and was wondering if there were any less expensive options than the ORO's that will fit in the RR corners.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was wondering if truck lights would fit, don't have the specific dimensions of the holes in the RR corners.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
i also need some 4inch round lights for the evo armor.. i saw some 4 inch taillights at harbor freight that looked like they might work.. and i think they where around 20 bucks or so .. might give them a shot.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I was wondering if truck lights would fit, don't have the specific dimensions of the holes in the RR corners.
once you find out what the hole size is just search for that size light on ebay if truck lites doesn't have them. there are tons of LED lights in all different sizes to be found.

i also need some 4inch round lights for the evo armor.. i saw some 4 inch taillights at harbor freight that looked like they might work.. and i think they where around 20 bucks or so .. might give them a shot.
not sure the quality of harbor freight stuff... good for a shovel or a rake but not sure i'm totally set on hooking up electrical stuff of theirs to my rig.

i got mine on ebay. http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29642&page=2

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
yeah I'm with ya on the harbor freight electronics.... I'm liking the clear tail lights you have .. how much did those cost you on ebay ?

·
Registered
5,420 Posts

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
I have the OROs but am interested in an alternative if/when these shit the bed. I saw a set last weekend that half of the leds were burnt out in and it pissed me off. I think he has only had them on for two years.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I have the OROs but am interested in an alternative if/when these shit the bed. I saw a set last weekend that half of the leds were burnt out in and it pissed me off. I think he has only had them on for two years.
OP... Ron should be able to tell you the size of the ORO so you can gauge a possible truck lites measurement.

awesome ..thanks man.. did you have to use a diode to keep them from blinking ?
i didn't bother.. but yes you will want a resistor. i got use to the fast blink.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
first off.. I understand that they (ORO) has a 2nd gen light on the market that is supposed to be better but for that kind of money you can buy a shitload of truck lights.... I like my OROs and will be just fine if they last but that remains to be seen.

The resistor thing is a bit of a story.... I put the Recon LED turns up front with the cheap-o resistors. When I added the OROs I used the PSC resistors on both OROs and now one side is good to go and the other side fast blinks after it heats up - I just need to upgrade the resistor on the passenger side - front and I *think* I will be good to go but don't have a lot of faith after discussing with ORO through Marcos. It doesn't bother me enough to get off my ass and fix... not yet anyway.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
first off.. I understand that they (ORO) has a 2nd gen light on the market that is supposed to be better but for that kind of money you can buy a shitload of truck lights.
my thoughts exactly. and not sure how durable the ORO lights are but I beat the shit outta my tail lights and they haven't even cracked a housing.

cool that dosent seem like a big deal.. i really like the look of the ones you have.. thanks for the info !
no prob :beer:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OP... Ron should be able to tell you the size of the ORO so you can gauge a possible truck lites measurement.

i didn't bother.. but yes you will want a resistor. i got use to the fast blink.
Hey Ron, could you by chance give me the measurement of the tailight holes on the corners?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Hey Ron, could you by chance give me the measurement of the tailight holes on the corners?

Thanks
The ORO is 5" but the "hole" is not a straight hole like you could use the push in style truck lights in. This photo isn't the best but will give you an idea as to what I am talking about. I have not seen a light that will be a direct replacement but really have not looked all that hard. 4x4loyr made the swap to truck lights with the RROR corners.... LINK

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
So the armor hole is 5" or a little bigger, and the armor light can is simply that... a light can with a blank back (not passthrough in other words).

So you can holesaw a 4" hole and run 4" truck lites couldn't you? Would probably cut into the JK body itself but that's the same as any armor which you are covering up anyways.

edit... exactly what I thought...

I would just holesaw a 4" hole and run truck lites and then drink a cold beer. Or Kenny may be able to do this for you prior to ordering and then all you have to do is drink the cold beer. :beer:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts