JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shipmates!

My wife and I were browsing Walley World today, and I ended up at the Hardware Department, while she was looking at Fabrics.

I ran across a neat little gizmo, that some other Jeepers said that they use for inexpensive Soft-Top Security. Damn thing works too! It's this. (See Link below Pic):

GE Wireless Motion Sensor Alarm (Link)

It comes with a Remote that will Arm/Disarm/Panic the Alarm Sensor. The Remote comes with a Battery, but you have to provide your own 3-AA Batteries for the Sensor.

I tried it out when I got home, and it works GREAT! 120db Alarm that sure gets your attention quick! I was considering getting a Proximity Alarm for my Jeep this Summer, when I've got the Soft Top off, but at a cost of $700 with Installation, I decided to look around some more.

This baby was $21 and some Change. Battery operated, and they'll keep it running for 1 year. The Sensor has a Low-Battery Warning Light, to let you know it's time to Feed-The-Baby new AA's.

I have the Covercraft Tailgate Pocket Pods on my Tailgate, like the ones shown here:

I used the Wall Mount Base provided with the Sensor, and attached it in the center of the right Pod, even with the Spare Tire Carrier. The Sensor faces forward, and covers the front seats, center console, and dash (Radio...), as well as the cargo area. I have my back seat removed, so I've got a wide open space between my tailgate and the front seats.

Before I mounted the Base, I used masking tape to mount it on the back, to see if it would work. I set the Alarm, waited 45 secs for it to Arm, then sat in the Driver's Seat first. As soon as my right arm touched the Center Console Armrest, it Beeped, warning me that the Alarm would sound within 30 secs. I turned the Alarm off, then turned it on again for another Test.

This time, I entered the Passenger side, and once again, as soon as my left arm touched the Center Console Armrest, it Beeped again for the 30 sec Alarm Warning.

Next, I unzipped my two side windows about halfway, and tried to reach in and grab my flashlights on the back of the seats, on the left and right sides. Again... it Beeped the Warning.

Lastly, I reached through the windows again, and tried to grab my Recovery Bag, and it Beeped again.

You can set the Remote to Chime or Alarm. Mine's set on Alarm. I did these tests in the garage, and with the Jeep Doors closed, and the windows zipped back up, my wife could hear the Alarm inside of the house in our living room.

Final thing I did, was paint the Sensor and Base Black, so it matched my Pod Pockets, and blended in. It only comes in White. When I had it mounted, you couldn't tell it was sitting in the back at all, unless you were looking for it. There's no blinking light on it to give it away. It only starts blinking when it activates, and 30 secs later, you get an earful of 120db Alarm!

It'll suit my needs for now!

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Thats pretty damn cool!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
How long will the alarm go off if activated (I know of some cheaper alarms going off for 30sec or a min and then shutting off)? Thanks for sharing this! I might be picking one or two up for some added peace of mind as well!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Not bad, does it chirp or beep to let you know that you have armed it?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nice find! :grinpimp:

I'll be picking up an autopage two way with my taxes.... with the prox. sensor and install it should only run about four bills
found one online for 199.00 and install was qouted to me @125.00 locally
prox sensor should run 50-70bucks:smokin:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How long will the alarm go off if activated (I know of some cheaper alarms going off for 30sec or a min and then shutting off)? Thanks for sharing this! I might be picking one or two up for some added peace of mind as well!
It'll go off for 30 secs then stop. If it detects movement within 15 secs after it stops, it will re-activate and continue this cycle, until it no longer senses movement.

Is it waterproof?
Not that I'm aware of. I read about some folks putting them in zip-lock sandwich bags, and they still work just fine.

Not bad, does it chirp or beep to let you know that you have armed it?
It'll chirp once when you Arm it, and chirp again when you Disarm it. You'll also see the Red Light on the sensor come on briefly, when it's Armed/Disarmed.

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Great find...just wondering though, would a soundbar mounted location be a better spot for those who have the 4 drs or run with tumble seats (2drs)? That way the "eye" looks down into the whole cab vs peering through the center line of the Jeep....

Time to hit up the hardware store and break out the Dremel for some more plastic mods..:beer::beer:

·
Registered
710 Posts
nice find! I'll be picking one up this weekend.

Great find...just wondering though, would a soundbar mounted location be a better spot for those who have the 4 drs or run with tumble seats (2drs)? That way the "eye" looks down into the whole cab vs peering through the center line of the Jeep....
that is my concern too, since i have the 4 door as well. definitely let us all know how it works out, or if i get mine installed first, i'll let you know how it works out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Time to hit up the hardware store and break out the Dremel for some more plastic mods..:beer::beer:
HMMMMM! Soundbar! Great idea! I'll take a look at mine tomorrow!

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
nice find! I'll be picking one up this weekend.

that is my concern too, since i have the 4 door as well. definitely let us all know how it works out, or if i get mine installed first, i'll let you know how it works out.
X3 - after I read you post and thought about it, I was thinking it wouldn't work where you put it for the 4dr, and the sound bar might work.

Just a thought.. Could you just get a couple of velcro strips and slap it up there when you need it and put it in the console when you don't? Then you don't have to break out tools or worry about the rain.
:beer:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts