JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so whats the cheapest way to air up after you air down?

i was thinking of making an air bumper, would a stubby front 2x4" bumper at about 200 psi hold enough to air up a set of 33's? (i have a good compressor at home)

or is a small on-board set-up better? and who makes a good cheap and reliable pump?

edu-ma-cate me please

:beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also, is anyone running those quick air-down valve stem dealies?
worth it or just pull the valve core?

sorry for the barrage of newb questions
:hide:

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think a power tank is more like what you need or a portable viar compressor or something along those lines. As for the valve stem deals Staun makes a great one. Put them on all 4 tires, pound a beer, unscrew them from all 4 tires and your set. They run about 65 bucks but ****tybilt just came out with some knock offs for 40 bucks. They should work ok though.

A

·
0 Posts
If you want cheap and don’t mind waiting 40 minutes air compressors are the way to go. The best of both worlds is to wheel with people with Power Tanks and watch them offer their air vs. having to wait for your sorry assed slow compressor :thefinger::thefinger:

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm running a powerplant, I can go from 15 to 35 in about 10 minutes with 33's. I use one of those Currie E-Z deflators, I'm faster than my buddy with the Stauns. It was about 25.00.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Your bumper would almost need to be the size of your jeep to hold enough compressed air to air up tires. It would also eventually equalize and then you would not be able to air your tires. CO2 is a liquid and comes out as a gas, at a constant pressure. that is why it is so much better. cheap air compressors work but are slow.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
The best of both worlds is to wheel with people with Power Tanks and watch them offer their air vs. having to wait for your sorry assed slow compressor :thefinger::thefinger:
damn you. :thefinger::thefinger:

I also use the Currie deflator - I go down to different pressures depending on what we are doing so it works out better for me.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
If you want cheap and don’t mind waiting 40 minutes air compressors are the way to go. The best of both worlds is to wheel with people with Power Tanks and watch them offer their air vs. having to wait for your sorry assed slow compressor :thefinger::thefinger:
Power Tanks are definitely the quickest and most versatile way to go. You can also easily re-seat a popped bead and run air tools if you need to.

The cheapest compressor that actually does a half decent job is the MasterFlow MF-50, $50 or so from Pepboys, etc.

I use the Staun deflators as I can just walk away and do something else why they are airing down, and come back to them all aired down to the psi I want.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that masterflow sounds like its in my budget.

how do you refill those powertanks? are they CO2?

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
that masterflow sounds like its in my budget.

how do you refill those powertanks? are they CO2?
I don't have a powertank, I put my own setup together with a 10lb co2 tank and a 150psi regulator for about 150 bucks. I get mine refilled at brewing supply place for 20 bucks (they cost a little more than other places, but it is really close to my house).

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
you can get a CO2 setup from e-bay for about $150. it doesn't have the pressure gauges (which i think are useless on CO2 anyway, considering its properties - the gauges don't actually show how full it is - it shows a constant pressure, until it is empty). this is a lot cheaper than a power tank.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
you can get a CO2 setup from e-bay for about $150. it doesn't have the pressure gauges (which i think are useless on CO2 anyway, considering its properties - the gauges don't actually show how full it is - it shows a constant pressure, until it is empty). this is a lot cheaper than a power tank.
That's why you have two gauges, one for line pressure and one for tank pressure. The tank pressure will show how full it is. But I agree that you can find cheaper options available and there are deals to be had out there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Powertank.

By the time you purchase a cheap air compressor, run the lines to hook it up to a tank under the Jeep, + the tank. Your pretty close to the cost of a powertank.

You can make your own powertank fairly cheap too.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
That's why you have two gauges, one for line pressure and one for tank pressure. The tank pressure will show how full it is. But I agree that you can find cheaper options available and there are deals to be had out there.
do you really need to know what the line pressure is if you have a regulator?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cool, i gotta fill my tank for my mig anyways.

the guy gives me deals on tanks so i might just pick up a small tank from him.
:D
thanks guys! money in the bank

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I'm running a powerplant,
he said "cheap" :laughing:

10lb CO2 tank, fixed 125psi CO2 regulator, cheap adjustable AIR regulator from Harbor Freight and some coil air lines/connectors/air chuck = less than $150
Get some bottle brackets from a welding shop or hunt down an ambulance/welding truck at the junk yard and get them for near free.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts