JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I went wheeling in my 10 JK UL and got stuck pretty good in a deep brown hole :smokin: full of mud with about three feet of water on top. After I got home I washed the engine down with orange cleaner and pressure washed it off with low/med pressure. Ever since then I have noticed occasional belt whine and what sounds like a small rock rolling around in the ac compressor pully. I used some of my buddys belt dressing and it quit for a bit then started again shortly. When I turn the AC on the clutch kicks in it almost completely stops the chatter. It also rarely does it at an idle regardless... any advice would be wonderful, cause since I took the carpet out its loud as hell and annoying as F.:pissed:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
first, welcome to JKO... second, just want to make certain that you are positive it is coming from the compressor?

it very well could be a small rock inside the compressor.

heres how an ac compressor works, inside there is a metal coil, and a type of clutch plate, when you turn the ac on, the coil charges, and essentially pulls the plate towards it. if there is a rock, that plate could be catching the rock, hence it goes away when it engages.

now, thats only a "could be" because there "could be" a number of other problems. i dont remember where the compressor is on the jeep, but i know they are not fun to work on on most vehicles.

if you can, get close to the compressor and look inside to see if you can see any intruders... (not while the jeep is running obviously...)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The compressor is right on top and the gap is too close between the pully and clutch too have a look. think I might take it off this weekend and see if I can tilt it up and tap it with a mallet or spray some air in there. With the belt of I can definately feel something catching randomly when its spun by hand. And there is a little play <1/4" in and out on the power steering pump pully/shaft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts