JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After blowing out the second set of spider gears in the front of my buddies 4 door JK we decided it's time to upgrade. This isn't my first axle swap but I'm worried we're gonna run into some problems with the esp and abs when we put in a different axle. How hard or easy is it gonna be to get rid of the esp and abs when we switch in a different axle. Also does the speedo read off the abs sensors, cause we've put in 4.88 gears and the speedo still reads slower than he is going with 35's. Any input is appreciated.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
After blowing out the second set of spider gears in the front of my buddies 4 door JK we decided it's time to upgrade. This isn't my first axle swap but I'm worried we're gonna run into some problems with the esp and abs when we put in a different axle. How hard or easy is it gonna be to get rid of the esp and abs when we switch in a different axle. Also does the speedo read off the abs sensors, cause we've put in 4.88 gears and the speedo still reads slower than he is going with 35's. Any input is appreciated.
The speedo reads of sensors at each wheel, so changing gears has no effect on the speedo reading. It sucks, cause the only way to get the speedo right is to buy a 200 programmer. As far as the esp with the new axle, I am not sure what the system will do with all the sensors gone, I believe it will do something similar to a mod I have done to take the g40 module offline - which is light up 3 lights int he instrument panel and turn off esp and abs.

Keep us updated on what you do for axles, and the only drop in ones available are from Currie and Dynatrac and they both run about about 10 grand for complete front and rear 60's.

Also, if you don't have the sensors for abs/esp.. I am not sure how you are gonna get the speedo to work or the transmission to shift if you have an auto.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We are wanting to put a HP44 in the front since we don't need a bolt in axle and can get one for cheap. Losing abs and esp isn't a problem, but if we can't figure out a way to keep the speedo this project might get axed before it starts.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I swapped axles and got the ESP, ABS, some sort of slippery when wet symbol that I haven't bothered to look up, and the low tire pressure symbol (switched out wheels and tires too...37"s).

My speedometer is off by about 5 to 7 mph. I have a programmer which will fix this, but I go back to Iraq in 2 days and the Jeep will then get a Hemi swap and 40" tires, so why bother programming it now?

It's my understanding that you can clear the ABS light (dealer should be able to do that). As for low tire pressure light...that will probably be there forever because I'm not going to bother having that particular sensor hooked up. Might just remove the hard plastic thing and black that out...along with the ESP one since I'll be switching computers with the engine swap. Here's what I say to the lights: :thefinger: :laughing:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts