JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a stupid question but does anyone know the center point for lifting a JK Unlimited hard top? I have built a homemade hoist for lifting my Jk Unlimited hardtop with a electric wench mounted on the ceiling in the garage. My problem is i have no clue where to mount the I bolt to lift it in the center. i dont want to just start drilling hole and guessing so I thought maybe someone on here might know the answer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
not sure if i read this right but are you trying to drill into the hardtop? if so STOP.... just use straps around the front and out the back window... do make them too tight...just loose enough so they will center themselves and then you can pull up

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no I have built a freame out one inch square tubbing the frane is a T shape. two sides conect were the door closes against the hardtop and then the frame conects under the rear window. I an trying to figure out were to drill my hole for the center point in the frame so it will lift evenly. I dont want to just start drilling holes and guessing i thought someone might have done a project like this before. I got the idea from a youtube video but they did not give the location to put the I bolt.

here is a picture of the frame sitting on the jeep top.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
My rear bar (one going to back window) is 42" long. The eye bolt is 20" from the cross bar. But, FWIW, my rear bar is adjustable.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would say its right around the area where the purplecgoam ends but take a strap and winch it up slowly to find center. ... nice project tho!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
it may vary slighly depending on construction.....

i made mine out of old bed rails. (angle steel)

when i wanted to determine the COG, I just took a foot of nylon rope and made a loop. i ran my "winch" in lifting top a couple of inches off the floor and adjusted the loop on the rail to achieve the COG. once set, I marked it and then drill a hole and installed a hook. has worked like a champ ever since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts