JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2017 JKUL. When I open the doors the 2 small lights under the rear-view mirror turn on and the rear dome light turns on, but not the center dome light. Once the Jeep is turned on, I can toggle the center dome light on by pressing on it, but the light is extremely dim - but works. If I move the interior light dim all the way forward it behaves the same as when opening the doors. Just wondering if there is some option I'm missing to enable the center dome light. I've checked the owners manual, prior forum answers and google to no avail. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I recently purchased a 2017 JKUL. When I open the doors the 2 small lights under the rear-view mirror turn on and the rear dome light turns on, but not the center dome light. Once the Jeep is turned on, I can toggle the center dome light on by pressing on it, but the light is extremely dim - but works. If I move the interior light dim all the way forward it behaves the same as when opening the doors. Just wondering if there is some option I'm missing to enable the center dome light. I've checked the owners manual, prior forum answers and google to no avail. Thanks for any ideas.
Just had this happen with my rear light. Would only come on by pressing manual buttons. I unzipped roll bar padding for inspection and found a nick in one of the two wires. It was nicked enough to where it was basically split.

Snipped. Piece of heat shrink. Used a butt connector. All good to go.

·
Super Moderator
6,239 Posts

Those overhead center & cargo ,press-on/off lights have small festoon bulbs in them; they get oxidated contacts from elements exposure over time & are very susceptible to being jarred-loose OR as @Laggy mentioned the switch assembly itself can experience issues you need to look into .
(Wrangler trail riding / bouncing can loosen one of the bulbs. Shutting door jams it out if contact or back settled again ...
Sounds like it's eyeball, multimeter & maybe new bulb time ...superbrightled has cool LED options for those if you need replacements...

:shocked:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Those overhead center & cargo ,press-on/off lights have small festoon bulbs in them; they get oxidated contacts from elements exposure over time & are very susceptible to being jarred-loose OR as @Laggy mentioned the switch assembly itself can experience issues you need to look into .
(Wrangler trail riding / bouncing can loosen one of the bulbs. Shutting door jams it out if contact or back settled again ...
Sounds like it's eyeball, multimeter & maybe new bulb time ...superbrightled has cool LED options for those if you need replacements...

:shocked:
I love superbrightleds. Their warm white led options are wonderful for interior lighting upgrades.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Isin't it possible to turn the dimmer knob too far killing the dome lights? Might check that.

Also, if the door harnesses are disconnected, the dome lights won't activate.

Reactions: ExWrench

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Isin't it possible to turn the dimmer knob too far killing the dome lights? Might check that.

Also, if the door harnesses are disconnected, the dome lights won't activate.
Also, if a contact has recessed in the male or female plug of the door harnesses, same result. If you unplug 'em and eyeball the pins, you should be able to see it quickly (which of these things is not like the other . . . :D ). If they're all even, that's not it.

EDIT: the recessed contacts are good to check on any harness plug involved. It's possible for them to be assembled deep enough to function but the lock tab didn't "click in" so it backs out when unplugged / re-plugged.

Not saying that's your problem, but good chit to check whenever you unplug a harness connection.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts