JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went wheeling a few weekends ago and learned quickly that my wife can't read a GPS. So I struggled a for a few weeks about where to mount it without putting any holes in the dash that can't easily be covered up. I have a 2012 JKU Sport without power windows. This is what I came up with to avoid mounting it on top of the dash or the windshield. I did this project for less than $20.00.

I didn't get a picture of every step, but this project is easy to figure out. I had already stared on the project when I thought that this would be a good write up for someone else who may want to try this.

Photo 1: Supplies. I bought a small L-shaped bracket at Lowes and a handful of small screws and bolts. I found the mount at the PX on Fort Bliss. This photo is of the bracket, a washer I cut down and the disassembled mount.

·
Registered
152 Posts
am i blind i dont see a photo

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
That's a good idea. I watched my blackberry sail out of my open window turning off Dyer street a while back. I went with the Daystar upper dash panel with some tool cabinet liner to reduce slippage

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This combo works great on the street. My GPS feel out once when I was wheeling, when I am offroad I just put a rubber band around the GPS to keep it in the mount.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Figured I would just place this here to make future searches easier on people looking for different options. This is what I did and it as worked well so far. Now just to figure out how to get a USB port moved up there.

Picked these up from Amazon.

RAM Mount X-Grip Holder for Smartphone / GPS / Radar Detector 41323

Daystar KJ71039BK - 11-13 Jeep; Dash Panel; Black; Upper; w/Universal Ball Mount

Then I sourced a Garmin GPS mount from a spare to destory.

Cut and cleaned up the Garmin mount. Smooth the back of the RAM mount.

Used these to stick them together. Holds really well.

End Results works well with Iphone and my Garmin.

IPhone 5 will work both vertical and horizontal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts