JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at the Cobra 19 DX IV 40 channel CB Radio...any good? or is there a better one...not looking for a rediculous one just something to use on the trails

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Just for trails it is a good unit. I ran one for a year and just happened to get a deal on a 29 and upgraded

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i bought the cheapest one on earth! 23 dollars on Amazon everyone in my group runs em and there bullet proof....tho they arent pretty to look at:laughing:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for trails it is a good unit. I ran one for a year and just happened to get a deal on a 29 and upgraded
well other than the $100 difference, whats the benefits of having the 29? i was thinking if i got the Cobra 19DX i would get a firestick antenna (dont know the size to get either) was thinking of mounting on top of the stock tire carrier

not really need to talk to anyone that isnt near by example trails or going to trails with a little convoy of people so we dont got to get pinned for using our cellphones

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
A couple of us have had issues with Cobra 19 CB's.

In both cases you can receive fine, but the transmit function is garbled. I personally would not recommend one.
I've seen that due to not checking swr, not adjusting swr, and whole heatedly trusting a firestick because everyone uses one. They are not a bolt and go!

I did have a 2 month old Wilson fiberglass antenna that was transmitting like crap. Swr was 4:1, new antenna, not running it long like that, it was good to go.

Cb is only as good as the coax and antenna.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
well other than the $100 difference, whats the benefits of having the 29? i was thinking if i got the Cobra 19DX i would get a firestick antenna (dont know the size to get either) was thinking of mounting on top of the stock tire carrier

not really need to talk to anyone that isnt near by example trails or going to trails with a little convoy of people so we dont got to get pinned for using our cellphones
that was the one thing i didnt scimp on...i got a 5ft firestick

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've seen that due to not checking swr, not adjusting swr, and whole heatedly trusting a firestick because everyone uses one. They are not a bolt and go!

I did have a 2 month old Wilson fiberglass antenna that was transmitting like crap. Swr was 4:1, new antenna, not running it long like that, it was good to go.

Cb is only as good as the coax and antenna.
I recently added a new firestick (last one got stolen) and adjusted the SWR. Have not yet had a chance to check it out. Problem may be fixed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so if to save money i got the Cobra 19 (or another series, around the same price) if i went with the Firestik company, what coax and antenna should i consider getting if the antenna is mounted to the top of the stock tire carrier?

·
Registered
915 Posts
I have a couple cobra's at home and am still running my cheap radio shack CB. The cobras are a little big for where I mount my cb so the cheapo is working great. It's very important to have a good SWR reading. If you can find someone with a meter you'll be very happy. For the trail you really don't need a top dollar cb since your group isn't usually a few miles long. The coax cable should be a good thick cable. When looking for an antenna I look for flexability, weight and if it's tunable. Heavy antennas suck on the trail and a stiff antenna will more than likely break. I'm running a cheap, thin, not tunable, but very flexible antenna and my SWR reading is great. I don't even know the name someone at work gave it to me. My wilson was great but was way too heavy. I guess in summary whatever gives you a decent SWR reading will work...lol Good luck. :beer: Oh yeah make sure you have a good ground on your radio and antenna. I have my radio ran to a switched relay from the battery.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a couple cobra's at home and am still running my cheap radio shack CB. The cobras are a little big for where I mount my cb so the cheapo is working great. It's very important to have a good SWR reading. If you can find someone with a meter you'll be very happy. For the trail you really don't need a top dollar cb since your group isn't usually a few miles long. The coax cable should be a good thick cable. When looking for an antenna I look for flexability, weight and if it's tunable. Heavy antennas suck on the trail and a stiff antenna will more than likely break. I'm running a cheap, thin, not tunable, but very flexible antenna and my SWR reading is great. I don't even know the name someone at work gave it to me. My wilson was great but was way too heavy. I guess in summary whatever gives you a decent SWR reading will work...lol Good luck. :beer: Oh yeah make sure you have a good ground on your radio and antenna. I have my radio ran to a switched relay from the battery.
well what exactly is a SWR?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts

For the antenna, TeraFlex makes a mount that bolts onto the stock tire carrier. I think it's about $30 for their mount. I actually have it on my rig w/ a 4' Firestik and that thing sticks up probably 2 ft above the roof. I'll try to take some pics a little later today so you can see what it looks like. So, I'd say a 3 ft stik should probably do the trick. Make sure you get a good HD spring and isolator, though. This is all the stuff I've been told, so I don't really have too much experience just yet. Hell, my Cobra 29 LX LE isn't even installed yet becuase I can't figure out a way to mount the damn thing. Seriously considering the Tuffy overhead console, but gotta come up with the funds first.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The Cobra 19 does not save the previous channel when power is removed.

I hooked mine up to accessory power so I did not have to worry about forgetting to shut it off. I am pretty sure the cheap $23 dollar version that my buddy bought from Amazon does remember what channel it was on when power is removed.

Just something to think about... It may annoy the shit out of you over time like it does to me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh also the 3' Fire Stick is the way to go. Sticks up only about 1' or so over the roof line. I can communicate well with everyone in my area. No issues with that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am running the Cobra 19 with no problems.

As for
(The Cobra 19 does not save the previous channel when power is removed.)

Had the same problem because I also powered it to a switched source. But found if I turned it off rather than it shutting off because I turned the Jeep off it would remember the channel.

I also run a firestick. It's about 4-5 inches above the roof. I am able to receive and transmit at least 10-15 miles based on the truckers I tested it with.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have always use a Francis antenna for over 12 years or so now and have always had superb luck with them. The have wire wrapped up inside like the firesticks.
The cobra 25 is a great little radio that is easy to mount due to size and can be highly modded later on.
I run a cobra 25 that has been peaked and tuned and running a galaxy final drive. It's pushing around 40 watts and talks and receives with the best of them.
The swr is really important on how good your radio works also. If you live around any trucks stops the may have a small cb shop around that could be helpful.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
all good info guys, when you can not to be a pain but please post pics of the antenna on your rig and the CB mounted in the rig ....my main concern is when it warms up i dont need someone taking my CB out of the car while the top and doors are off parked somewhere. unless its easy to disconnect the radio and store it in a lock box or somewhere out of sight

1 - 20 of 30 Posts