JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I recently installed a Galaxy 949 CB and a 5' Firestik. I have the cb running straight to the battery.

Everytime I push the button to talk my sway bars disconnect.......

What the heck?

By the way, I took it to the local truck shops cb shop and had them peak and tune it up. They said everything was hooked up fine and my SWR was great!

They sway bar will automatically reconnect a few seconds later, but it still has me worried.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
962 Posts
First guess is that the swaybar circuit is picking up the rf from the radio and somehow seeing that as a valid signal.

Questions:

1. Did it do it before the radio was peaked and tuned?
2. Where is the radio mounted and where is the coax path?
3. Where is the antenna mounted?

Solutions:

1. Disassemble the center stack and shield the swaybar switch and as much of the wiring from the switch as you can.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Depending on your answers to John L's question, there are several solutions. I agree with John, the controller/switch/wires for the swaybar disconnect are picking up RF from the CB when you transmit.

Don't worry though, it is fixable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First guess is that the swaybar circuit is picking up the rf from the radio and somehow seeing that as a valid signal.

Questions:

1. Did it do it before the radio was peaked and tuned?
2. Where is the radio mounted and where is the coax path?
3. Where is the antenna mounted?

Solutions:

1. Disassemble the center stack and shield the swaybar switch and as much of the wiring from the switch as you can.

Thanks for the reply John.
her are the answers to your questions.

1.No it did not, but it also didn't do directly after the peak and tune either.
It didn't start until I ran a additional ground wire from the antenna bracket to the tail gate. I have since removed that ground wire and still have the problem.

2. The radio is mounted to the roof of my hard top. The Coax cable runs along the top of the windshield and then across the passenger side of the rollbar to thr rear tailgate.

3. Antenna is mounted to the stock tire carrier. I used one of the bolts holding the tire carrier to the tail gate and placed the aluminium bracket there.

I can provide some photos if you need them.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
962 Posts
1.No it did not, but it also didn't do directly after the peak and tune either.
It didn't start until I ran a additional ground wire from the antenna bracket to the tail gate. I have since removed that ground wire and still have the problem..
Wow, that's really odd. Talk about your RF gremlins. We need some of the Ham guys to chime in on this one, I'm at a loss.

2. The radio is mounted to the roof of my hard top. The Coax cable runs along the top of the windshield and then across the passenger side of the rollbar to thr rear tailgate..
That should be fine, check the coax carefully for any damage to the outer covering and shield.

3. Antenna is mounted to the stock tire carrier. I used one of the bolts holding the tire carrier to the tail gate and placed the aluminium bracket there..
That should be fine also, I have mine mounted directly to the carrier on top.

I'm not sure what to tell you now, I expected to hear that the coax was routed behind the center stack:confused::confused:

Have you went back by the CB shop for some advice? The next step I would take would be to try another radio to see if it does it. Still seems like you're exceeding the rejection limit of the affected circuit in the Jeep.

BTW, what did your 949 peak at? I'm running a Uniden 68 elite, it peaked real nice, 4.5w dead key, 35w swing:smokin:

·
Registered
85 Posts
The problem seems to be that the wire(s) running to/from the sway bar control circuit are acting like an antenna. The easiest fix is to put an RF choke on those wires as close to the circuit as possible. This would most likely fix the problem, but it may also void the warranty, so if you do add one, do so at your own risk.

My question is, have you done any other modifications, besides the extra ground wire, about the time you started having the problem? Removed any parts, added anything? Has anything been damaged?

Have you had the antenna rechecked since you added the wire?

It may take some time and a lot of questions, but I'll do what I can to help.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Come to think of it, I first noticed it when I moved my gps unit to just above the tweeter on the drivers side. Since it was all the way to the left I had to plug it in the other cig lighter. The one that is not marked 12v.

John, to answer your question I have no idea what the 949 is putting out. The CB guys was of Spanish decent and we could not communicate very well. I think I should take it to a different CB shop. I am just not too fimiliar with this stuff.

Thanks for all your help 1TallJKer! :)

I'm going to unplug the gps and give it a try see what happens.

Yesterday it set off the esp and the sway.

G

·
0 Posts
Just as another thought on this, it could be that when you hit the PTT button, you're generating a current spike that is coupling into the system (rather than the RF coupling in).

A couple of thoughts that baffle me, though. I believe that the sway bar is activated over the CAN bus so whatever is causing the anomaly must be simulating a press of the sway bar button such that the proper codes are being generated.

It is very curious that the sway bar reconnects. That would seem to imply that the unit gets additional codes over the CAN bus indicating that the button has been pressed again. Does the reconnect happen when you push the PTT a second time, or can you press it once, watch the disconnect occur and then just wait a while and it automatically reconnects.

I don't think you mentioned what the conditions are under which the disconnect occurs. There are interlocks in the system such that sway bar shouldn't disconnect unless you are in 4 Lo and below 18mph (I think). So are you only seeng the disconnect under those conditions or do you see it at higher speeds, 2WD, etc.

Do you see the light start blinking and then go solid or does it just blink for awhile and then go off?

Do you know if the bar actually does disconnect or are you just getting the indicators on the dash.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
if it does disconnect, here's your cure for the 2wd swaybar lockout. ;) :D:D

anyway....
fixable, but r/f can be kinda wierd. sometimes, it is simple as rerouting the antenna cable. though it isn't always "suggested", I "fixed" a similar r/f problem in my Crown Vic by looping the antenna cable a little behind the driver's seat and retuning the antenna. In my case, it was a little Maxon CB in an aluminum console along with a Maxon VHF radio and a Whelen siren. Every time I keyed up on CH-16 thru CH-23, the audio would play over the PA system. Sometimes depended on the surroundings.

I had tuned the antenna, centered on CH-19. I retuned it, centered on CH 24. with the loop in the cable, that remedied my R/F problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When i had my dodge, i had a quadzilla box, when i would key the mic, the truck would die. Removed the box, and it didnt happen. It was effecting the fuel system part of the box.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, yesterday I went thru the coax cable no damage, I then unplugged the gps turned on the cb, pushed the button to cue up, but did not speak. Nothing, :bounce:

Then I get on the frwy turn on chanel 19 and as soon as I cue up and actually say something it lights up the tree. :pissed:
I also recieve a ding sound.

I get home park try to talk and the tree lights up.
It seems fine until I try and communicate.
The sway bar light only blinks like 5 times then goes out, but the ESP will stay on until I restart the Jeep. I do not think that the sway bar is actually disconnecting. I'm going to Tierra Del Sol at the end of the month and really want this issue resolved.

I wonder if the radio is burned up. I was on trail a few weeks back and the antenna kept coming loose. Every 20 min I had to get out and tighten everything back up. I still had the cb on and did talk a bit wonder if i ruined something.

I'm gonna take it to another cb shop and have them check it out.
I'll let know what they say.

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
is the power wire for the cb going all the way to the battery, directly?

are you sure the power wire for the cb wasn't accidentally tapped into the wrong wire?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts

are you sure the power wire for the cb wasn't accidentally tapped into the wrong wire?
That would be my first thought too. The installers may have said they connected to the battery, but it sounds like they tapped off the first circuit they found.

disconnect the power to the CB and just run some temp leads direct to the battery (or the cigar lighter) and see if it still happens.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Yes I am sure that the wires go straight to the battery, I am the one who did the install, I just took it the cb shop to check the SWR.

Funny thing happened yesterday, I took the JK in for a oil change and a ABS recall that I needed to get done. Guess what? No more problems!!!:D

I guess them re-flashing the computer fixed what ever problem I was having.:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Hopefully that was the fix! Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys.
If any of you guys are going to Calico stop by the rc rock crawler booth and say hi.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay so here is a update on this problem.
I sent the radio back to Galaxy and had them return it back to stock specs.
Since I had it peeked and tuned, Galaxy said it may be sending out harmonics.

I got the cb back and installed it, then went straight to the local truck stop to have it checked out.
The tech spent 3 hours trying to figuire it out, at one point we thought we had it and then i was on my way home, cued up and same ****! this time setting off airbag lights.
We tried eveything, different cb, mics, antena's, different ground location.
Today I am going to try and rewire the whole thing and see what happens.
I am also going to get a new coax cable.

Wish me luck. :bawling:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay rewired the whole thing, relocated the radio, new coax cable, 12g power and ground wire straight to the battery, ran a nice 12g solid ground wire fom the antenna bracket to bare metal part of the rear inner fender, and it seems to be evenworse. :bawling:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
it's time to buy a cheap, new radio and see if anything changes. i would leave everything else as-is.
or maybe the radio itself just needs to be mounted away from the electronics in the dash. try mounting it to the backside of your center console, or to the speaker bar and see what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay rewired the whole thing, relocated the radio, new coax cable, 12g power and ground wire straight to the battery, ran a nice 12g solid ground wire fom the antenna bracket to bare metal part of the rear inner fender, and it seems to be evenworse. :bawling:
Get rid of the direct ground to the battery. The power wire is fine. Ground the radio as close to the radio as possible. That will solve your problem. The ground wire that comes with the radio should never be extended. Try it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts