JKOwners Forum banner

CB power...

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  NascarRubicon 
#1 ·
First Cobra 75 CB, firestick and all the firestick $10 items to go with it (ie. spring, quick disco, stud mount, etc...). I put the plug in the back of the console, (I will provide some pics or a write up on this when I am finished), but the question that I have is where to run the power from. My first instinct is to run the power straight from the power windows. The wiring harness is right there and it would be really, really easy to utilize that power. However, the instructions suggest running power straight to the battery. I will have to run additional wire in conjunction with the supplied length, no problem just more wire. Does anyone have any thoughts, or suggestions? Is there enough power to the windows to run the CB? I am pretty knowledgeable with running the wire and can run it to the battery, I just don't think I'll be using the CB without the key in the ignition.:th_pray:

Thanks,
Joshua

#2 ·
Why would you run it from the power window circuit? These aren't old Wranglers, I wouldn't tap off anything but very basic circuits to avoid communication and interference problems.

I run mine to the back of the cig lighter that ties to the battery, goes right into the TIPM. quick and easy.

#4 ·
I ran mine straight to the battery. If you take off the side cover of the dash on passenger side there is an existing hole with expanding foam in it that you can poke through and it comes out in the cowl area on passenger side under hood right by the battery. I also read somewhere to be VERY careful about what you tap in to because the vehicle computer is tiedinto every electrical component in the Jeep and can give error messages if it doesn't sense the right load or voltage on the circuit.

#7 ·
X2

Direct power lead will minimize possibility of interference. Direct lead off the battery, through the grommet in the firewall under the battery and you're good to go.

That's the route I'll be taking when I start running wires on my new Heep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.