JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am installing a Cobra 75 WX ST into my 2009 JKU. I have an sPOD but do not want to use one of the switches for the CB. Can I simply tap into the right-side 12v power outlet wiring? Or do I have to run through the firewall to the battery?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Probably easier to run through the firewall and to the battery. Here's a pic of my CB power going straight to the battery. I used a dual fuse harness - a fuse for both positive and negative leads. Many of the Hams use the same kind of harness.

View attachment 54305

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulling the center dash section and tapping into the wires would only take a few minutes, I am just wondering if it would effect performance or function at all?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Pulling the center dash section and tapping into the wires would only take a few minutes, I am just wondering if it would effect performance or function at all?
That's how I have mine. I just used some splice connectors onto the outlet that is on with the key. Seems to work fine.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
It's preferable to get your CB power directly from the battery and not draw off of any existing power on the vehicle. You reduce the possibility of any interference issues with the CAN BUS or PWM and besides, it is not as if it is difficult to run a power lead through the firewall...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey Matt, I sent you a PM.

You can tap the cig lighter or the aux 12v port. I tapped the cig lighter because it is switched to the ignition. The aux port leaves the potential for a hot circuit which was a concern to me.

·
Registered
459 Posts
X2^^ I had mine run to the battery for a bit because I was lazy and it was fine, you just have to remember to turn it off every time you turn off the vehicle. about a month ago I tapped the cigarette lighter (left One) wire with purple strip is + if I remember right and ground to any random interior body pannel ground. Works perfect and no problems.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would run power from the battery with a relay that is switched from the cigarette lighter that way it turns off with the Jeep. No chance of leaving it on and killing your battery.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yes you can run your CB off the 12V ACC power outlet. A "normal" mobile CB draws up to 4 Amps so there should be no problem as long you don't connect other items to the outlet which would exceed the outlet circuits rating in combination with the CB.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I would run power from the battery with a relay that is switched from the cigarette lighter that way it turns off with the Jeep. No chance of leaving it on and killing your battery.
I leave mine with available power, always. I like having the radio on even if the Jeep is completely off on a trail to hear whats going on.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I leave mine with available power, always. I like having the radio on even if the Jeep is completely off on a trail to hear whats going on.
I understand but you could always just click the key to acc and listen. Different strokes for different folkes I suppose.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I understand but you could always just click the key to acc and listen. Different strokes for different folkes I suppose.
Yep. Haven't left it on in 3 years :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts