JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so the jeep has been in the garage for over two weeks now. Replaced the radiator and ram lines over a week ago. Put in some seat heaters last weekend and have been running new wires for some interior led lights which will be installed tonight.

The cb hasn't been on in over a month, but last night the wife wakes me up at 2355 and says the jeep is making noise. I go out to the garage and track the noise down to the cb. It fucking sounds like the baby monitor from the movie signs. I key the mike in my sleeping stupor and the noise stops. So I unplug the mic and head back to bed thinking that I need to prep the house for the coming invasion.

So how the hell with the CB off for over a month do I get noise coming out of the speaker?

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts

·
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
Yeah good call. That way the aliens can find you way easier and then shove an anal probe up your pooper:bounce:
And by aliens, you mean, you dressed in an alien suit. Jus' saying.

·
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah good call. That way the aliens can find you way easier and then shove an anal probe up your pooper:bounce:
You never saw signs did you?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I've seen cases where a CB or Ham operator's rig would get picked-up and played over PA systems, car stereos and other audio electronics (including an electronic organ). But only while they were on, not while off.

When you woke up the next morning was your butt sore and greasy?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've seen cases where a CB or Ham operator's rig would get picked-up and played over PA systems, car stereos and other audio electronics (including an electronic organ). But only while they were on, not while off.

When he wakes up, his butt is always sore and greasy!:thefinger:

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts

·
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So much for helping you fuckers out in the future.:flipoff:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have a quasi-hypothetical-theory...

Given...
Your mic cord is coiled.
The voice coil in the mic is coiled.

When you stimulated the coil of the dangling(assumption on my part) mic cord with movement by jumping around in the electro-magnetized environment of the Jeep chassis, it created current within the coil.
That energized coil, in close proximity to the mic, stimulated the voice coil of the mic.
So, the crackling mic is the induced current from the cord acting upon the voice coil of the mic, thus, moving the diaphragm and creating sound.
Keying the mic grounded it out.

The idea is likened to the workings of an ignition coil.
A primary coil is energized which energizes a secondary coil. There's no physical connection(continuity) between the two coils.

Why wasn't the sound noticed earlier?
Coulda been it was over-ridden by the household's normal aural ambience or, around midnight...

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
I used to have a shitty clock radio that when turned off would pick up trucker's CBs when they passed the house.

I can't tell you how many times it scared the shiat out of me in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
977 Posts
It's Frequency dude! Is there someone in your past that might have been murder? Plug the mic back in. You might be able to save their life, and YOURS!

or

You might want to double check your wiring. Maybe double check that the cb is still grounded properly. Did you do any welding on your rig?

·
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a quasi-hypothetical-theory...

Given...
Your mic cord is coiled.
The voice coil in the mic is coiled.

When you stimulated the coil of the dangling(assumption on my part) mic cord with movement by jumping around in the electro-magnetized environment of the Jeep chassis, it created current within the coil.
That energized coil, in close proximity to the mic, stimulated the voice coil of the mic.
So, the crackling mic is the induced current from the cord acting upon the voice coil of the mic, thus, moving the diaphragm and creating sound.
Keying the mic grounded it out.

The idea is likened to the workings of an ignition coil.
A primary coil is energized which energizes a secondary coil. There's no physical connection(continuity) between the two coils.

Why wasn't the sound noticed earlier?
Coulda been it was over-ridden by the household's normal aural ambience or, around midnight...
I was working in the back of the jeep for an hour an half yesterday and each night this week.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
So what do the heaters consists of? I can tell you that a digitizing tablet, wiht it's large copper wire mesh causes so much disturbance we keep them in iso rooms to not interfere with emergency warning signals and other transmitters. On there own they will cause radio siugnals to buzz. Stiil they all have to be turned on at the same time. I had big old 70s style speakers that pick up radio signals when not even turned on......remember that brady bunch episode where biobby picked up signals with his braces......ok I'll shut up now......

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
So do you suppose Jim was in fact picking up the sounds with the metal plate in his head? That the radio wasn't the source at all? Intriguing theory, Greg!

·
A JKO DICK
3,690 Posts
If it was it was greasy it was defo M&M's cuz Aliens don't use grease, or KY or Spit or anything........ask me how I know..........:eek:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Well JIm Remember that thing we saw at James house?? I guess they found you..

But I would guess its a trucker or two with Amped up CB's... Plug the mic back in and see if it does it tonight..

·
22,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well JIm Remember that thing we saw at James house?? I guess they found you..

But I would guess its a trucker or two with Amped up CB's... Plug the mic back in and see if it does it tonight..
Turned out dead battery. Fucking thing was only nine months old. But got a FREE one from vato zone. Happened about two months ago as well but no CB noise. Put it on the charger then and it made it this far. Thats what I get for not driving the jeep that much.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts