JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my 2008 JK X I wired my CB using my auxiliary power wiring. I simply cut the power/ground and soldered it to the CB power/ground. Worked no problems with my Cobra 18WXST.
Today I wired up a Cobra 75XT in a friends 2010 Rubicon. Wired grn/red to power and black to ground using the auxiliary power. No dice. Tested with test-light and ground is good...no power....fuse is fine, power had power before I cut it...what's the deal?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Did you wire it to a 'key on' power source.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
From what I've heard, CBs like to draw their power straight from the battery. Just string a wire from the battery through that little hole that's in the top corner (either left or right) of the firewall. It's filled with foam insulation, but you just poke a hole through it with a coat hanger. Hook in an inline fuse, then ground it to one of the grounding studs. They're also on either side panel just below where the dashboard ends.

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
From what I've heard, CBs like to draw their power straight from the battery. Just string a wire from the battery through that little hole that's in the top corner (either left or right) of the firewall. It's filled with foam insulation, but you just poke a hole through it with a coat hanger. Hook in an inline fuse, then ground it to one of the grounding studs. They're also on either side panel just below where the dashboard ends.
I ran my CB off of the sPOD....works like a champ! Before I got the sPOD I ran it off the battery as well.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
yeah I had mine installed by a shop, same cb, and they suggested right to the battery for it, so they did. Cool trick if you do it that way, they took my antenna off, taped the cb wires to it, and then pushed that through the fome insulation in the fire wall to the battery! Worked like a charm. If I'd know it was that easy to wire, I'd have done it myself- live and learn!!!!:beer:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot to mention you need to pop those side panels off either side of your dashboard to see the foam filled holes.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot to mention you need to pop those side panels off either side of your dashboard to see the foam filled holes.

I used a piece of plastic tubing as a stint and ran my wires through it to 1. make running multiple wires easier and 2. to help prevent any unforeseen chaffing of the wires though doubtful with all the foam.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Interesting, my 75 is wired to switched power at the cig lighter and works great. :D

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Interesting, my 75 is wired to switched power at the cig lighter and works great. :D
The 75wx was hard mount version of a handheld platform 45wx and runs well on any power. It does need a really good ground like box CB's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts