578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Affected Components:
  1. Cobra 75 WX ST
  2. CoolTech license plate mount
  3. JL Audio 10" sub woofer
  4. Kicker 400.1 amplifier
Tuning:
SWR has been adjusted with values that fall within the acceptable range.

Connections:
The CB power is hooked up directly to a switched slot in the fuse box and the ground is going to the ground post by the passengers feet. The amplifier is wired directly to the battery with the ground going to a well prepped area in the cargo space.

Interference:
I'm receiving static interference through my antenna when my after market sub woofer plays bass notes. If I turn off my stereo the static goes away. It's obvious that the issue has something to do with the sub woofer as the static is in perfect time with the beat of the music; when a bass note hits there is static. Additionally, I do not believe it is a power interference issue since the antenna cable is routed on the driver's side while the amplifier power cable is on the passenger side. I think it's also important to state that I experienced the same sort of interference in my other vehicle so this isn't just a Jeep problem.

My question is if anyone here has experienced this problem and figured out a solution? I'm assuming that the sub woofer is creating an electrical field that the antenna is picking up, hence the static when the sub woofer hits.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just curious. In an article about clean power, try moving the ground off the battery and see what that does. Also don't use the same positive connection. Yes I know it all connects together, just space them out.

·
Registered
966 Posts
My best guess is yes, a subwoofer is a giant coil/magnet and depending on how much W you're pushing into it it will create an electric field. I suggest either moving the sub or antenna so theyre not close OR not listning to 2-Pac while chatting on the CB :thefinger:

·
Registered
962 Posts
wrap the sub in foil:D
It's not the sub, it's the amp.
The amp is causing spikes, the CB is picking it up. Are you using the ANL/NB on the CB?
You may try putting in a large cap in like the ricers do, one of the one's the size of a tallboy. That will probably solve it.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I know this might seem like a silly question, But if you have the CB on, You can't really hear it if the stereo is cranked...right?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts