JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!

For the life of me, I cannot pop the passenger side vent out on my 2012 JKU to access the hole in the firewall to run the CB power wire through to the battery. Does it need to be rotated into a specific position before pulling or is it suppose to just snap out? I dislike forcing things without knowing for sure. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You shouldn't have to pull the vent. There is a panel on the side that is next to the door that will let you get in just fine.
That would be nice but, I saw on another forum where they showed having to remove the vent in order to pop off that side panel. How is it taken off in not pushed from the inside where the vent is?

· Registered
2,707 Posts
That would be nice but, I saw on another forum where they showed having to remove the vent in order to pop off that side panel. How is it taken off in not pushed from the inside where the vent is?
Stick with this forum and you'll be fine.

Mine is an 08 but I just pried the panel off with a screwdriver.

· Registered
899 Posts
HELP!

For the life of me, I cannot pop the passenger side vent out on my 2012 JKU to access the hole in the firewall to run the CB power wire through to the battery. Does it need to be rotated into a specific position before pulling or is it suppose to just snap out? I dislike forcing things without knowing for sure. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.
Here's a video showing how to remove the vent thingy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rsNZxxpPVGM

· Registered
22 Posts
Stick with this forum and you'll be fine.

Mine is an 08 but I just pried the panel off with a screwdriver.
He's right stick here I can't imagine what it is you found elsewhere because removing the vent won't make your life any easier. I have a 2011. The side panel just pops loose with a gentle pry from a flat head screw driver or trim tool. I have taken mine of at least a dozen times doing things easiest thing to remove perfectly and replace in the jeep. I can post a picture if you really need it after work. But there are a variety of threads on 2011 installs.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, everyone here was right. You do not have to take the vent out to push the side panel off. Thanks to everyone for the consensus on how to do it.

By the way, if you're curious where I saw that you had to take the vent out, check out this link for a photo essay on all the steps:

http://project-jk.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=33849

And, kaptkrappy, thanks for the link of the video for removing the vent in case I do have that need (for something other than running the CB power :thankyou:)

· Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,131 Posts
Okay, everyone here was right. You do not have to take the vent out to push the side panel off. Thanks to everyone for the consensus on how to do it.

By the way, if you're curious where I saw that you had to take the vent out, check out this link for a photo essay on all the steps:

http://project-jk.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=33849

And, kaptkrappy, thanks for the link of the video for removing the vent in case I do have that need (for something other than running the CB power :thankyou:)
And thats what you get for looking at shit on that forum.:nono:

· Registered
42 Posts
You should not have to pull the center dash. All you need to do is pull out the glovebox. Wire the terminal feed under the dash and in back of the glovebox, open the passenger door, you will see a little hole with some foam insulation. Take a clothes hangar (or unscrew your antenna like I did), tape the terminal wire to said device, feed it through. The terminal wire is now in you engine bay, cheers

:drunk:

· Made in the U.S.A.
1,034 Posts
If you get the sPOD, you can see the rubber grommet from the driver side firewall where the sPOD is by....run all wiring through there to the sPOD and then with Low-Voltage cut-off protector wires ran to the battery you dont have to worry about leaving something on and killing your battery or continue pushing wires through the foam filler along the inner side of the tub at the removable panel.

Just an added input! :beer:

· Registered
2,707 Posts
If you get the sPOD, you can see the rubber grommet from the driver side firewall where the sPOD is by....run all wiring through there to the sPOD and then with Low-Voltage cut-off protector wires ran to the battery you dont have to worry about leaving something on and killing your battery or continue pushing wires through the foam filler along the inner side of the tub at the removable panel.

Good advice.

· Registered
250 Posts

That's exactly what I did. Also instead of ziptieing, you can use the screw that is in the pic just to the right of where he mounted his Cobra to mount. I can see the zipties sliding of and the whole thing falling down.

· Made in the U.S.A.
1,034 Posts
That's exactly what I did. Also instead of ziptieing, you can use the screw that is in the pic just to the right of where he mounted his Cobra to mount. I can see the zipties sliding of and the whole thing falling down.

If he tightens them enough he will be ok....what I did back when I used the same radio. But I agree with you...a more permanent install is better than just ziptieing due to the 75 box not having any corners/edges that can lock it in. :beer:

Only reason I swapped out was the reduced transmit/receive distance in hilly/mountain areas vs the Uniden. I am not a CB tuner and didnt have the time back then to figure out why I wasn't able to "push" enough even though the FCC rules limit to 4W of power.....what happened to the days when you use to be able to reach from east to west coast at the push of a button! (not counting today's cell phones!) :laughing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.