JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't take credit for this! I saw it on the other Jeep forum; however, I couldn't find any good details on the installation.

Here is a quick picture of what it looks like without the electrical connections.

Most Double DIN installs I have seen require cutting of the factory dash. With a little work I was able to install the 2 radios without any cutting of the factory dash. I did trim the Metra double DIN adapter slightly to get a better fit with the 2 radios.

Here is the only trimming of the double DIN adapter that I did. The trimming is not necessary but I think it allows the radios to fit better. I used a Dremmel but a file or sharp razor blade would work. I only had to notch the top and bottom corners of the backside of trim on both sides. This allows both radios to come forward slightly and eliminate some gaps and allow the drop-down face to work properly.

Before trimming

After trimming

I was able to remove the steel radio bracket after removing the two 8mm bolts. It did take some forceful prying to remove it in 1 piece.

Instead of trimming the lower black plastic piece I was able to remove the 1 screw and lower it. I put the screw back in above the hole to keep the black plastic piece down and out of the way.

The radio is hooked up but I still need to wire up the CB and figure out where to install the antenna.

I will continue to document my progress with the CB and the eventual installation of an aftermarket 5 channel amp to replace the Infinity amp.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Good looking job man. I have been thinking about doing this also. Finding the right single DIN CB was the only issue I could see.

Are you going to continue to update this thread?

~ Semi off-topic ~
My mom had a 1978 Toyota Celica ST with a AM/FM/CB Cassette head unit. If they only still made those types of head units.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good looking job man. I have been thinking about doing this also. Finding the right single DIN CB was the only issue I could see.

Are you going to continue to update this thread?

~ Semi off-topic ~
My mom had a 1978 Toyota Celica ST with a AM/FM/CB Cassette head unit. If they only still made those types of head units.
I will continue to update this thread. I just ordered a few parts for wiring the CB. I hope to add more this weekend if the parts get delivered in time.

I remember my dad use to have a Cutlass Sierra in the mid 80's that came with a factory CB option with the radio. I learned to drive with that car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts