JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about Caster.

Since my lift I am currently at 2.8* positive caster. I see that Jeep's Specified range is 6* to 8* on the JK.

So my question is, what kind of problems could come from this?

I know that the wheel does not return to a straight line as easy with less caster and may wander around the road more but I am ok with that affect as it is not too bad right now. What Caster angles are you guys running 4"+ seeing?

What else could happen? Are there any wear issues on tires or extra stress anywhere?

·
Registered
749 Posts

Since my lift I am currently at 2.8* positive caster. I see that Jeep's Specified range is 6* to 8* on the JK.

I know that the wheel does not return to a straight line as easy with less caster and may wander around the road more but I am ok with that affect as it is not too bad right now. What Caster angles are you guys running 4"+ seeing?

What else could happen? Are there any wear issues on tires or extra stress anywhere?
I'm 2 1/2" lift in front, Cam Bolts gave my alignment guy got a castor of 5 & he said that was right on for my needs. Drives just fine now.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts

1) how did you manage to get that much caster change ?

Your return to center will suffer and you "may" get some funky tire wear as now your ackerman angle is not "right" when you turn. This also may affect your turn radius.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
USMCDOC14,

~2.5" lift, maybe a touch more. Stock arms. No cam bolts.

You sound surprised to hear 2.8*? What should be expected at that lift? I remember hearing some TJ guys getting into negative caster (with larger lifts)

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
USMCDOC14,

~2.5" lift, maybe a touch more. Stock arms. No cam bolts.

You sound surprised to hear 2.8*? What should be expected at that lift? I remember hearing some TJ guys getting into negative caster (with larger lifts)
I don't really remember but that seems too drastic a change from 6-8* down to 3* with only 2.5" of lift.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
BTW Here's the rules regarding the drive shaft angles:

Good cancellation of U-joint operating angles is within 1degree.
Operating angles less than 3 degrees (U-joint system).
Operating angles less than 10 degrees for constant velocity joint.
At least 1/2 of one degree continuous operating (propeller shaft) angle. On one U-joint system less than 1 1/2 degree operating angle.

I am off and will be reducing the pinion angle by a couple of degrees shortly, which will also bring my caster down. But apart from cutting and rotating the knuckles, there is not much I can do about that.

If I bring the caster to within spec, my pinion angle goes too high and I get drive shaft vibration. Most probably not such a big issue for those running stock shafts, but with aftermarket shafts you will get vibration if they are too far off.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does this relate to the terra flex 2.5 BB lift? I thought it did not change the castor that drastically? Oh and what is everyones opinion on cam bolts? good or bad?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Does this relate to the terra flex 2.5 BB lift? I thought it did not change the castor that drastically?
It doesn't. If he's now at 2.8° and spec is +4.2° ±0.5° then he's actually only 0.9° out, which is not that much.

Oh and what is everyones opinion on cam bolts? good or bad?
They will adjust out this kind of thing, but I personally don't see the need for them. Put some adjustable uppers and lowers in and you can correct the pinion angle and move the axle forward to where it belongs.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where did you get that from?

Factory spec for caster is:

+4.2° ±0.5°

Mine is at about +2.5° and it feels just fine.
Seems that that is the issue then. I got those numbers from calling the dealership so I am not surprised they are wrong :laughing:

Anyway, sounds like we are at nearly the same so I feel better about it. Everything felt ok, just was worried that being that far off (from the numbers the dealer gave me) could cause problems.

Thanks PhilD, you da man!

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Seems that that is the issue then. I got those numbers from calling the dealership so I am not surprised they are wrong :laughing:
That explains it, I think factory caster for a TJ is +7.0° ±1.0° which would give you the 6-8° they gave you.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I'm 2 1/2" lift in front, Cam Bolts gave my alignment guy got a castor of 5 & he said that was right on for my needs. Drives just fine now.
Jim, where did you get your cam bolts?

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
I'll have to dig up my alignment notes. FWIW, the factory measurements on a recently calibrated alignment machine were not even close on most measurements and way outside specs. Caster and Thrust angle were the two that come to mind as being the worst. And of course in stock form, there is little to nothing you can to about it. :shaking:

·
Registered
749 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts