JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's one you can bust out the n00b stamp for:

While not being a big fan of the automatic "whap wash" car washes I am wondering how soft tops hold up to them? We have a "no touch" auto wash in town but its usually as good as throwing a bucket of soapy water and then another bucket of plain water. I'm not so lazy I won't to my own washes at home...but not in the winter.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Avoid brush or cloth washes at all costs. Ragtops (and especially their windows) don't respond well to the abuse. You will shorten the useful life of the top considerably and may destroy the windows in just a few washes. I agree that the touchless washes don't do a very good job from an aesthetic standpoint, but they do get most of the filth and salt off of the vehicle and that's what does the long term damage. Make sure you do the undercarriage wash since this is most important for long term survival of the vehicle. Oh yeah................pray for an early spring. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, this is what I kinda figured. I have been using the do-it-yourself wash to fight the salt and keeping direct water pressure off the soft top seal as much as possible.

...I am SO ready for spring!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yeah, that's what I do most of the time. About one time in three or four I'll go through the touchless wash just so that I get the underside good and clean. One other thing.........I wax the crap out of it (2 or 3 coats) just before winter to give the paint a fighting chance. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
A soft-top preservative?

Yeah, that's what I do most of the time. About one time in three or four I'll go through the touchless wash just so that I get the underside good and clean. One other thing.........I wax the crap out of it (2 or 3 coats) just before winter to give the paint a fighting chance. :)
Along these lines: Is there a product designed to prolong the soft tops?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Thanks, this is what I kinda figured. I have been using the do-it-yourself wash to fight the salt and keeping direct water pressure off the soft top seal as much as possible.

...I am SO ready for spring!
What is this thing called spring??? Here in AZ it was in the 80’s (no not hair bands:shaking:) and I washed the jk Saturday and Sunday. Sunday because we spent Saturday night out 4Xing. And it is so freaking dry here you have to leave the top up so you can breath in all of that dust!:pissed: Oh and why would you put salt on the car? I mean having a JK shows you have good taste but it doesn’t mean it has to taste good….:smokin::beer:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I could get out of Michigan, I would...but when its nice I'm glad to be hear. I used the incorrect term above I should have said with winter almost over road construction season is almost upon us :shaking:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Along these lines: Is there a product designed to prolong the soft tops?
Nothing that I'm aware of. Like I said above, I've owned lots of ragtops over the years. I've tried a variety of things like armor-all and it's imitators and I've never been happy with the results. I understand Bestop makes something but I haven't tried it and I'm not sure I will. In my experience, keep it clean using mild soap and lots of warm water and be very careful of using anything even a little abrasive on the windows (I use a damp chamois to dry my windows) and you will got a lot of years out of your top. :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
What is this thing called spring???
Spring is when the snow melts and the road you live on becomes a mud bog. Oh, and the black flies come out. Gotta run from the house to the Jeep to avoid giving blood. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts