JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at the end of the axle, just before the knuckle, there is a black cap, that looks like it's to help stop any mud and water from getting into the axle tube... do I have to be concerned about this, they don't seems to be in place, can they put pushed back in place? Any suggestions are appreciated.:)

·
Registered
355 Posts
They look to be fine to me. They will not sit up flush against the tube, and there will be a gap there. They are to try and keep the larger debris from going inside your tube. Further inside the tube you will also have a slinger and then the seal.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I've always pulled mine off; They tend to hold in mud, then get in they way when trying to flush the tube out. IMHO. The Superior seal looks like a sound idea, they appear to hold water out.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
As already stated they are just to keep the big pieces of junk out. You can move them a little closer if you wish with a large flat bladed screwdriver or something, but I wouldn't worry about it. Further down the tube at the diff end is a seal that prevents anything getting in/out of the diff.

I have Superior shafts and don't have them at all.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
As already stated they are just to keep the big pieces of junk out. You can move them a little closer if you wish with a large flat bladed screwdriver or something, but I wouldn't worry about it. Further down the tube at the diff end is a seal that prevents anything getting in/out of the diff.

I have Superior shafts and don't have them at all.
Correct, Superior shafts dont come with them, and I found it impossible to get the stock ones off so I improvised with the old stock inner seals

Attachments

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Correct, Superior shafts dont come with them, and I found it impossible to get the stock ones off
Mine came off easy enough, but they don't fit on the Superior shafts anyway.

so I improvised with the old stock inner seals
Good idea :smokin:

I have Mt Logan Sleeves and there is very little room for anything to get in the tubes so I'm not worried about it, but I like your idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.