JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I assume you adjusted the squelch. Do you have an external speaker jack on it? if so you might want to hook up an external speaker to determine if your built in speaker went bad....prolly not the case, but I have seen it...do you have any noise coming out at all?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the speaker works bc I can listen to the noaa channel just fine. My buddy just hooked his cb up and we were testing them. Wondering if it maybe his setup? I really have no idea.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I assume you already tuned your antenna to the new CB? If not you should tune it through a SWR meter to double check both transmit and receive signals.

Tuning a CB Radio

1.Buy or borrow a standing wave ratio (SWR) meter and a coaxial jumper cable. You should be able to buy them for less than $20 at Radio Shack, CB shop, or even some truck stops.

2.Drive your vehicle to a large open area, away from buildings and trees, to test your CB radio. Everyone must remain inside with the doors closed while you take readings. On the other hand, if you have a base CB unit, test it in place.

3.Ensure that the unit is well-grounded before you try to peak and tune a CB radio.

4.Manually unscrew the cable that runs from the radio to the antenna and connect it to the input marked “ANT” on the SWR meter.

5.Attach one end of the coaxial jumper cable to the CB and the other to the TX or Radio input on the SWR meter.

6.Put the SWR switch on “Forward,” and set the CB to channel 1.

7.Depress the talk button on the mike to cause the CB to transmit, sending a signal through the antenna. Turn the meter dial (marked “Set” or “Adjust”) until you get a reading of Set.

8.Keep the talk button down and flip the SWR switch to “REF” (or “SWR,” depending on your meter model). Write down the numbers for the SWR and let up on the talk button.

9.Repeat the steps above for channel 40.

10Compare the numbers for channel 1 and channel 40. If they vary, make small, incremental changes, using the methods below.
* If channel 1 is greater, you need to lengthen your antenna by pulling the whip out or, if you have a fiberglass antenna with a tuning screw, loosen the screw.
* If channel 40 is greater, shorten the whip by pushing it in or cutting it, if necessary. If you have a fiberglass antenna, tighten the screw.

11.Recheck the SWR. Aim for SWR readings of less than 2.0 on both channels. Though the SWR readings for channels 1 and 40 may not match, the goal is for the numbers to be as close as possible.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well guys the radio was used and i think the tx chip was gone out. Went and bought a cobra 19 ultra III. Hooked it up and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
well guys the radio was used and i think the tx chip was gone out. Went and bought a cobra 19 ultra III. Hooked it up and it works like a charm.
Cool.. Glad you got a working CB.. And probably the "Finals" went due to not having the SWR set right... :shaking:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts