JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to interrupt all the chit-chat threads but I'm having a hell of a time getting a 40x13.5 MT Baja Boss MT to mount on my TR beadlock. I remember reading somewhere where @gt1guy was having the same issue, where the tire just wants to "walk" around the outside rim. I've tried lubing it up, jumping on it and yelling at it. I don't have a set of tire spoons handy, which is probably the right answer here. Can I heat the tire bead up? I want to say gt1guy did some magic trick with a clamp, I just can't find the thread. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

I'll let them sit in the sun tomorrow and see if they soften up a bit. I'm exhausted from wrestling with them tonight.

-Scrooge

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Sorry to interrupt all the chit-chat threads but I'm having a hell of a time getting a 40x13.5 MT Baja Boss MT to mount on my TR beadlock. I remember reading somewhere where @gt1guy was having the same issue, where the tire just wants to "walk" around the outside rim. I've tried lubing it up, jumping on it and yelling at it. I don't have a set of tire spoons handy, which is probably the right answer here. Can I heat the tire bead up? I want to say gt1guy did some magic trick with a clamp, I just can't find the thread. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

I'll let them sit in the sun tomorrow and see if they soften up a bit. I'm exhausted from wrestling with them tonight.

-Scrooge
Chit Chat Momma here. I sent you links. I took a break from "chatting" and googled.

a few carpenters clamps reversed so that they push outward will help stretch the tire bead over the flange as well.

I've never had to do this, but I've heard some folks suggest taking a razor or sharp knife and "breaking the edge" of the tire, shaving off a relatively thin slice of the corner edge of the tire lip so that it slips down easier. Seems like it would work well, but I've not had to do it.

rubber mallet to hammer it over the lip as you work your way around?

·
Administrator
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clamp thing was what I'm looking for.
Not cutting anything, that sounds like a dangerous idea.

I'm letting one bake in the sun today. I'll get it nice and warm and attack with a set of spoons.
If all else fails, Ill have a shop roll them on. I'm getting too old for this shit.

·
Administrator
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I fnally got them on. Just needed to grouse on the internet about it.
Long story short, the issue wasn't setting the outer bead , it was getting the inner bead past the outer rim of the wheel. Normally, a few hops / humping the tire and on it goes. In this case, I had to heat the tire and pry it over. The rest was fine. From what I can see in some of the lug moldings, MT doesn't have the most exacting standards and I'm guessing they are just a little "off". I'll do a more detailed write up in my build thread.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I fnally got them on. Just needed to grouse on the internet about it.
Long story short, the issue wasn't setting the outer bead , it was getting the inner bead past the outer rim of the wheel. Normally, a few hops / humping the tire and on it goes. In this case, I had to heat the tire and pry it over. The rest was fine. From what I can see in some of the lug moldings, MT doesn't have the most exacting standards and I'm guessing they are just a little "off". I'll do a more detailed write up in my build thread.
Glad you got it worked out. Just curious if you were using a 5 gallon bucket? I was able to get mine mounted using the bucket to raise the wheel and tire off the ground and it allowed me to press the tires all the way down onto the rims. I did have to use some tire shine gel (slipery stuff). I still had to fill them with air to set the bead the rest of the way. FWIW, I do have different wheel and tire combination.

·
Administrator
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, did the bucket and all that. Ive never had to do much more than bounce on the tire to get it to pop on. I did switch from soap to actual mount lube. That stuff is nice.

I got a mini write up with photos added to my build thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts