JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be in the market soon for a canoe and I'm trying to find out the best way to carry it on an unlimited. It has to work with a soft-top, as that's all I have at the moment. I've seen pics of canoes mounted on top, but have never seen in person how they actually attach.

-WRM

·
Registered
193 Posts
if your not planning on going on very long trips i just take my top of and throw some wratchet straps from one side of the roll cage to the other in front and in back.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I almost forgot I started this thread...lol...I just figured that either no one else had a canoe but me, or they all opted for the hardtop.

I've been thinking of building a "T-post" of sorts that will bolt into the receiver hitch. That way, the rear of the canoe would be supported above the top, and the front supported by the windshield frame.

I'm trying to imitate this (but I've never actually seen one in person):

-WRM

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Havent done anything for the JK yet, but I made stuff for the old YJ
made a standoff for the front bumper, set up my old light bar so when it rotated it had brackets to prevent side to side and made the bracket for the back that fit into pockets I welded onto the bumperettes
Nice thing was it was all bumper/lightbar attachment points so it didnt matter if the top was up or down
I wheeled the crap out of that setup.
Seen airtime more than once without the canoe moving at all.
Only problem was I wasnt thinking ahead and the drivers side of the rear bracket comes down in front of the LP.
No biggie except it has to flip out to put gas in :shaking:
On a rig that got 4-6 MPG, shoulda done something a little different there...

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
jeepnyak - love the canyonero decal - one of the best simpson's episodes ever...

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
smells like a steak and seats thirty-five...

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down,
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!

12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,
65 tons of American Pride!

She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!

Canyonero!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts