JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to enable the wifi in my jeep without signing up for a monthly Internet plan? I want to hook up my apple tv so I can air play my phone on my car monitor so all I need is for my phone and apple tv to be on the same wifi network. I don't need the Internet as my phone is already connected.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not all about the music. For example I find that inputting a destination using the voice commands is slow, unreliable, and a generally frustrating process. On the other hand, Siri gets addresses right about 90% of the time and I don't have to waste breath confirming every piece of info I say. With the new turn by turn navigation integrated into ios6 ill probably use that for navigation. Plus there's a bunch of other use-cases for air play that are not available to me through the aux jack.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What do you mean enable wifi? Did you buy the Autonet modem without a contract? or are you speaking of the Mygig showing wifi in a setting? if so the Mygig doesn't connect to internet in any way and never will...Not fast enough. The new networking/canbus system that Chrysler is working to get in all vehicles and get away from the Mercedes system is Much faster and the Uconnect Access will have all that OnStar has/does and more...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Still don't see what that has to do with Mercedes :cwm13:

On the other hand also not sure what the OP exactly intends to do but my guess is that he want to stream the phone screen onto the MyGig display which should be possible with a Lockpick directly without the need for AppleTV and a Wifi network.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you mean enable wifi? Did you buy the Autonet modem without a contract? or are you speaking of the Mygig showing wifi in a setting? if so the Mygig doesn't connect to internet in any way and never will...Not fast enough. The new networking/canbus system that Chrysler is working to get in all vehicles and get away from the Mercedes system is Much faster and the Uconnect Access will have all that OnStar has/does and more...
I thought we had the ability to subscribe to a mobile hotspot service from mopar. Essentially creating a wifi network to connect devices to the Internet over their cell network.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would HIGHLY advise you consider bluetooth instead of AppleTV...
I personally love my AppleTV in the house, but I wouldn't be able to tolerate the lag in a car.
Switching songs on AppleTV is painfully slow.

Here is a guy that setup an AppleTV in his car with an Airport express... Maybe this will help shed some light:
Apple Airport Express / Airplay Wireless Music Streaming in Car - YouTube
Yeah I will use Bluetooth for music for sure. I think I'll mostly use the Apple TV for AirPlay mirroring so I can use the iOS navigation instead of the unbelievably crappy OEM navigation. Also I'll watch the occasional video on it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Still don't see what that has to do with Mercedes :cwm13:

On the other hand also not sure what the OP exactly intends to do but my guess is that he want to stream the phone screen onto the MyGig display which should be possible with a Lockpick directly without the need for AppleTV and a Wifi network.
When Benz owned Chrysler, their CanBus and other Technologies where put into the Chrysler products. Like the CrossFire was built by benz and Benz's crossover was/is chrysler....The MyGigs never were planned to connect to celluar network. They aren't built to do that or be able to.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I thought we had the ability to subscribe to a mobile hotspot service from mopar. Essentially creating a wifi network to connect devices to the Internet over their cell network.
A hotspot? Only way you can have a hot spot (network) is to have a main provider to serve the hotspot, like Sprints phones can. My phone can have 10 devices feed internet from it, but it has to be near my phone. Hot spots lie at McDonalds, StarBucks etc...you have to be in the store or close by....The only thing that can do that is like the Google City Wide WiFi....they set up wifi antennas all over the town that google lives for the city to use.....

The way that Chrysler was first to offer internet in the car was a seperate company, called AutoNet, which is a celluar network comapny. They install a modem in truck and that acts as a hotspot/wifi....but it never could or did hook up to the mygig....

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I think this would be easiest too. I believe the LockPick supports RCA in, and you can get a cable to do RCA out from your iPhone. Just plug them together and all done!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts