JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK all you electrical gurus, I just bought some Carling type switches and they contain 2 LEDS. One for the Icon and one for the switch "on" status. Is it possible to wire the upper LED into the dash light dimming circuit and if so where and what color is that wire? I am assuming that the lower light pulls its power from the #2 incoming power source and only will light when the switch is on. Thanks for the education. :beer:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do understand that by adding a resistor in-line with the LED that you can make it dimmer, but will it respond just like your other dash lights when wired into the dimmer circuit or will that only work with incandescents? Isn't that circuit just a big adjustable resistor?

·
Registered
343 Posts
OK all you electrical gurus, I just bought some Carling type switches and they contain 2 LEDS. One for the Icon and one for the switch "on" status. Is it possible to wire the upper LED into the dash light dimming circuit and if so where and what color is that wire? I am assuming that the lower light pulls its power from the #2 incoming power source and only will light when the switch is on. Thanks for the education. :beer:
Yes if you tap into the dash light for power the leds will dim.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. Any chance you can tell me where to access and what color that wire might be?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Any chance you can tell me where to access and what color that wire might be?
Its been along time since I did mine but I picked up the dash light off the rear of the heat / ac controls. I think it was an orange and white wire, but like I said its been awhile.

·
Registered
70 Posts
most led's you try and put on a dimmer will not last to long. even the LED LIGHT BULBS they are making now R not dimmable yet. i have tried using voltage reg's and different types of resistors and they always burn out pretty quick.

·
Registered
343 Posts
most led's you try and put on a dimmer will not last to long. even the LED LIGHT BULBS they are making now R not dimmable yet. i have tried using voltage reg's and different types of resistors and they always burn out pretty quick.
Have had my led's hooked up to the dimmer switch for over two years now with no problems at all. When ever I have my headlights on, the leds are dimmed and it has not hurt them at all.

·
Registered
189 Posts
They should only burn out quick if they get too much power. They will glow from completely out to their full intensity and anywhere in between based on the power they get. Don't go over their rating and all is well.

-Randy

·
Registered
343 Posts
what model switch and where ya getting them? I am only finding the ones that are "lit when on" ones
http://www.otrattw.com/index.php

They dont show the rockers with leds on their site but you can call them. This is the email I got from him.

we currently have SPST ON/OFF switches available with amber LEDs and
red/green LEDs, and a few DPDT VJD1G switches in red/green.

We have DPDT ON/ON switches coming in this week with amber LEDs. The ON/ON
switch has both LEDs independently wired. These can be wired to have either
the top or bottom LED attached into the dash light circuit, and can be wired
to have this LED turn off when the switch is turned ON leaving only the one
LED ON at night.

We have been testing white, red, blue, and green LEDs in the Contura
switches and will have a better selection available this year.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
962 Posts
Dimming led's is easy, you PWM them and adjust the duty cycle. This can be done with a 555 timer CMOS chip. Led's dimmed off the headlamp circuit will dim a bit, but then extinguish. There's a trick to dimming them, you must control the current not the voltage. The dimmer in the jeep controls voltage.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts