JKOwners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
V8 dreams
3,567 Posts
yep. amazed that people are still paying for the dynatrac considering they aren't getting any more miles than anyone else and the rebuild kit is so dang expensive. those don't make any sense at all.
I do think the dynatrac would last me a little longer, but the gravel roads i frequent would wear them quickly too IMO. For about the same amount, and both the RP and DT BJs using the metal components, i think the longevity of the RP puts them in the lead for me

·
Registered
249 Posts
I agree, Dynatrac is just running on marketing at this point on the ball joints.

My rare parts put in 1.5 years/22k miles ago are still perfectly tight. Synergy did not last beforehand. Time will tell but I'm still sold on them.
Sorry to hear your Synergy ball joints did not last. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but we did have a manufacturing issue between 2016 and 2017. Our current revision has been out since the beginning of 2018 and we haven't encountered any of the premature wear like we did previously. If anyone has ball joints that wore out prematurely in this time period, we will warranty them, regardless of whether or not they are within the warranty period.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Doing my oil and grease tonight, and this time the ball joints failed testing. I guess I just have to accept that I'd best not jump a Jeep on D44's even if the housing is beefed up enough. They still drive fine and I'll probably keep running them for a bit but the lower joint should not allow for this motion.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Doing my oil and grease tonight, and this time the ball joints failed testing. I guess I just have to accept that I'd best not jump a Jeep on D44's even if the housing is beefed up enough. They still drive fine and I'll probably keep running them for a bit but the lower joint should not allow for this motion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U70Im7Jkbw4&feature=youtu.be
you jumped your Jeep? where's the video? haha.

also, are you going to rebuild them? if you are, i'll be interested in the process.

·
Registered
955 Posts
you jumped your Jeep? where's the video? haha.

also, are you going to rebuild them? if you are, i'll be interested in the process.
Most of the destructive air at the dunes was accidental and not filmed. And I'm just assuming it's these trips that beat up the ball joints, no idea really.

The lowers cannot be rebuilt as far as I know. I have an email out to rare parts to see if they recommend I replace/rebuild the uppers or just replace the lowers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Most of the destructive air at the dunes was accidental and not filmed. And I'm just assuming it's these trips that beat up the ball joints, no idea really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHDCSGUGSmU

The lowers cannot be rebuilt as far as I know. I have an email out to rare parts to see if they recommend I replace/rebuild the uppers or just replace the lowers.
nice video. didn't know the lowers couldn't be rebuilt.

·
Registered
955 Posts
First off Rare Parts is a good company and is sending me new lowers.

But, I found the problem and it makes me question the design of the lower :frown2: Can always use the Rare Parts upper with some other brand lower though, that might be the ultimate combination.

The lower ball joint is actually cracking apart, grease squirts out about a quarter circle of this so it's cracked completely through. On the other side of the vehicle I can see a stress fracture just barely starting to form. It's a small miracle it didn't blow apart destroying everything in that side of the axle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
dang that's crazy. well, this puts me back in the camp of not knowing what to do when my time comes which with ATX slabs won't be too long. i do know that if i ever decide to go tons that i'm ordering a kingpin from Dan at Fusion.

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts
damn, @christensent!

I'd be surprised if RPs wasn't wanting that back after you receive the replacements? Seems a metal quality issue if it cracked on the cap like that and completely; you are fortunate that didn't breakup on ya & take out who knows what else.
If I paid $600+ for a ball joint and one of the caps cracked ....this would be less than pleasant for the manufacturer/vendor. I'm sure RP backs it but does that belie a deeper issue?
Any other reports of similar fracturing online?

·
V8 dreams
3,567 Posts
dang that's crazy. well, this puts me back in the camp of not knowing what to do when my time comes which with ATX slabs won't be too long. i do know that if i ever decide to go tons that i'm ordering a kingpin from Dan at Fusion.
my last set of teraflex, running spiderlocks(same BS as slabs), didn't even last 20k lol...also eyeing the kingpin tons at fusion.

oh, and i just ordered the spicer BJs as they were $106 and surely can't do worse than 20k miles...famous last words

·
Registered
955 Posts
Rare Parts did really come through and over-nighted me new joints this morning. Support is also top notch in response time with 20+ emails exchanged in less than a 24 hour period.

They do want the old ones for inspection to find root cause, and assure me they are confident in the product even in the most harsh use (apparently they have numerous people racing on the ball joints). I'm honestly skeptical that it's not a design flaw. You can see where there's a thin wall section in their cross section view right where the crack formed at the boundary where the upper bearing plate pushes up into the housing. I feel like this wouldn't have happened if the housing had the green contour, but then again I'm not a ball joint engineer and it's entirely conceivable there are sacrifices to that design! I'll put in the new ones and run them keeping a very close eye for stress fracture formation.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Rare Parts did really come through and over-nighted me new joints this morning. Support is also top notch in response time with 20+ emails exchanged in less than a 24 hour period.

They do want the old ones for inspection to find root cause, and assure me they are confident in the product even in the most harsh use (apparently they have numerous people racing on the ball joints). I'm honestly skeptical that it's not a design flaw. You can see where there's a thin wall section in their cross section view right where the crack formed at the boundary where the upper bearing plate pushes up into the housing. I feel like this wouldn't have happened if the housing had the green contour, but then again I'm not a ball joint engineer and it's entirely conceivable there are sacrifices to that design! I'll put in the new ones and run them keeping a very close eye for stress fracture formation.

Just curious why are 20+ emails being exchanged? Were they giving you a hard time or something?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Just curious why are 20+ emails being exchanged? Were they giving you a hard time or something?
Nope just asking some questions to make sure I set them up right, checking date codes on them, getting my shipping info, and I asked a few questions about the design.

In fact I didn't even ask to get new ones they brought up sending me replacements and overnight shipping was their idea too (I usually don't ask for replacement parts when it's a wear item that I beat the crap out of as a best-practice to be polite to the world).

·
Registered
955 Posts
Got the new joints, although they did not specifically answer via email whether there were design changes on this, the new housing is about 1/8" taller and I have complete confidence that the new design will not suffer the same failure mode, it looks like a much more beefy housing. In addition they put a soft backing on the set screw so it no longer cuts up the threads of the upper locking cap, and the lower has a bigger thread size on the grease zerk (the old ones were sort of a pain to thread in without stripping or cross threading them). Not only is it stronger but they fixed my only two subtle complaints on the product!

I have to say Rare Parts is honestly the single greatest company I've ever worked with on customer support. If I got identical lowers I would have been skeptical but with bigger lower housings I'm fully on board with Rare Parts again.

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts

https://youtu.be/xHDCSGUGSmU

lol that's a cool looking ride /day /location (and video) .

I betcha those driving choices MIGHT have contributed - at least a tiny bit- to the wear on those prem-O balljoints, lmao.

just imagine what condition regular old balljoints woulda been in.

I missed this but have been pokin' around our forum today since I freaking gotta order g-damned balljoints again.

I learned from this thread that the hydraulic assist I have been running this past year contributes to BJ wear laterally ; I am thus not too stoked about installing yet another set of Synergy Mfg's.

However, this thread ALSO taught-me that their particular ball-joints have been revamped since my last set .
Somehow I did not process all of this threads useful data the first time . I appreciate this thread bein here.

it being a stupid, teeny D30 , I think goin w/ $600 BJs is a bit over the top. Particularly since the funds would be deducted from my welding supplies specifically to get rid of said toy housing.

(edit: I meant to ask @jvandy50 how the Spicers are hangin' after you've run them for a little while? )

·
V8 dreams
3,567 Posts
Welllll there's a story there...we went to install them and one just dropped in lol. I'll have to scroll through some pics to see if it was a top or bottom joint. So two are spicer, and the other two are whatever cheap brand O'Reilly had...we took the calipers up there to measure before buying!

Got it all buttoned up and someone (me) didn't bother tightening 5 lug nuts after a spacer install and my driver front came off at 45mph...that was a hard hit when I finally came to a stop, two shocks blown, rear axle flange bent...and we were just making sure the steering wheel was straight on that test drive! Guess I just didn't want her to be out of our shop lol. I'm truly lucky I didn't hurt someone.

Anyway, they are working fine but I don't have but 1k miles on em so far because I'm slowly finding and fixing things that I broke in my stupid stupid mishap.

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts
Welllll there's a story there...we went to install them and one just dropped in lol. I'll have to scroll through some pics to see if it was a top or bottom joint. So two are spicer, and the other two are whatever cheap brand O'Reilly had...we took the calipers up there to measure before buying!

Got it all buttoned up and someone (me) didn't bother tightening 5 lug nuts after a spacer install and my driver front came off at 45mph...that was a hard hit when I finally came to a stop, two shocks blown, rear axle flange bent...and we were just making sure the steering wheel was straight on that test drive! Guess I just didn't want her to be out of our shop lol. I'm truly lucky I didn't hurt someone.

Anyway, they are working fine but I don't have but 1k miles on em so far because I'm slowly finding and fixing things that I broke in my stupid stupid mishap.

Holy crap, dude!
That is almost like one of my stories !

I'm glad you are ok, the Jeep was only gonna incur mild
damages AND no body else was hurt; runaway wheel/tire can f some stuff up.

Yeah, I always have muckedup , involved to detail or explain descriptions for complicated occurrences or Jeep related repair/damage incidents. Some recently have been so convoluted and involved , I don't have the energy to even find an urge to type the whole thing out !

So, I guess I'm saying I can relate man. Appreciate the reply , & ,then, maybe come back to update thread after you've accrued some mileage after a year or something with how they handled ( that is SAFE, lugged-securely miles! :wink_animate: )

·
V8 dreams
3,567 Posts
Holy crap, dude!
That is almost like one of my stories !

I'm glad you are ok, the Jeep was only gonna incur mild
damages AND no body else was hurt; runaway wheel/tire can f some stuff up.

Yeah, I always have muckedup , involved to detail or explain descriptions for complicated occurrences or Jeep related repair/damage incidents. Some recently have been so convoluted and involved , I don't have the energy to even find an urge to type the whole thing out !

So, I guess I'm saying I can relate man. Appreciate the reply , & ,then, maybe come back to update thread after you've accrued some mileage after a year or something with how they handled ( that is SAFE, lugged-securely miles! :wink_animate: )
Lol will do! Plenty of learned lessons from that experience.

I couldn’t justify the cost on the rare parts, and i was glad i didn’t after learning one of my C’s was a little wallowed...luckily the cheap brand had not so good tolerances and we found a “fat “ one!

I’ll pile up some miles and report back

Edit: they have already survived a hit that blew 2 Rancho 9000s and an axle shaft, as well as an ankle, shoulder, wrist, and bent steering wheel lol

61 - 80 of 80 Posts